Mystery of UFO sightings above Hampstead Heath solved?
A regular heath user believes he has solved the mystery of the UFO sightings above the park – but new fears have been raised over the danger of the true culprits.
Stephen Greensted said that this time last year, he came across a man launching eight Chinese lanterns from a football pitch in the park.
Last week a woman reported the puzzling sight of “six orange balls of light” hovering above Hampstead Heath to the UK UFO Sightings website.
Mr Greensted said they are likely to be Chinese lanterns that can float well above the trees and cast an orange glow.
He explained: “I was on my evening run and I was wondering what all these bright lights in the sky were, and then I saw a chap on the football pitch with his two sons, lighting Chinese lanterns.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst I was standing there, they launched about eight.”
“If people have seen six of these balls of ‘orange light,’ that’s entirely credible.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 7 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 8 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 9 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 10 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
“It was about the same time last year, so I wonder if it’s part of a Chinese New Year celebration.”
For now, alien invasions may be nothing to fear, but concern has been raised over the candle-lit lanterns causing fires. Mr Greensted explained: “The lanterns usually float above the trees, but if they’re not let off from high enough, they could come as low as houses.”