Mystery of UFO sightings above Hampstead Heath solved?
A regular heath user believes he has solved the mystery of the UFO sightings above the park – but new fears have been raised over the danger of the true culprits.
Stephen Greensted said that this time last year, he came across a man launching eight Chinese lanterns from a football pitch in the park.
Last week a woman reported the puzzling sight of “six orange balls of light” hovering above Hampstead Heath to the UK UFO Sightings website.
Mr Greensted said they are likely to be Chinese lanterns that can float well above the trees and cast an orange glow.
He explained: “I was on my evening run and I was wondering what all these bright lights in the sky were, and then I saw a chap on the football pitch with his two sons, lighting Chinese lanterns.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst I was standing there, they launched about eight.”
“If people have seen six of these balls of ‘orange light,’ that’s entirely credible.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
“It was about the same time last year, so I wonder if it’s part of a Chinese New Year celebration.”
For now, alien invasions may be nothing to fear, but concern has been raised over the candle-lit lanterns causing fires. Mr Greensted explained: “The lanterns usually float above the trees, but if they’re not let off from high enough, they could come as low as houses.”