Mystery of UFO sightings above Hampstead Heath solved?
A regular heath user believes he has solved the mystery of the UFO sightings above the park – but new fears have been raised over the danger of the true culprits.
Stephen Greensted said that this time last year, he came across a man launching eight Chinese lanterns from a football pitch in the park.
Last week a woman reported the puzzling sight of “six orange balls of light” hovering above Hampstead Heath to the UK UFO Sightings website.
Mr Greensted said they are likely to be Chinese lanterns that can float well above the trees and cast an orange glow.
He explained: “I was on my evening run and I was wondering what all these bright lights in the sky were, and then I saw a chap on the football pitch with his two sons, lighting Chinese lanterns.
“Whilst I was standing there, they launched about eight.”
“If people have seen six of these balls of ‘orange light,’ that’s entirely credible.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 5 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 6 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 7 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 9 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 10 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
“It was about the same time last year, so I wonder if it’s part of a Chinese New Year celebration.”
For now, alien invasions may be nothing to fear, but concern has been raised over the candle-lit lanterns causing fires. Mr Greensted explained: “The lanterns usually float above the trees, but if they’re not let off from high enough, they could come as low as houses.”