Mystery of smoke coming from Royal Free Hospital cleared up
- Credit: Archant
The Ham&High and our readers were equally confused by smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital last Thursday and Saturday night
Eagle-eyed Hampstead observers have been writing in to the Ham&High about smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead last Thursday and Saturday.
Belsize Park resident Ron Vester said: “Sometimes all day one hears a loud burst of noise from roof of hospital.
“One can hear it from The Boating Pond in Highgate.
“Does anyone know what this is, are they burning remains from surgery as some suggest or syringes?”
You may also want to watch:
“I do know this is close to my flat in Belsize park and wonder if this is dangerous to those who live downwind.”
We have since learned that the Royal Free uses steam circuits to heat the hospital and one of the valves blew away on Thursday.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station
The valve was repaired, but it blew away again on Saturday night.
Our readers will be interested to know the valve has since been replaced.