Mystery of smoke coming from Royal Free Hospital cleared up
- Credit: Archant
The Ham&High and our readers were equally confused by smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital last Thursday and Saturday night
Eagle-eyed Hampstead observers have been writing in to the Ham&High about smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead last Thursday and Saturday.
Belsize Park resident Ron Vester said: “Sometimes all day one hears a loud burst of noise from roof of hospital.
“One can hear it from The Boating Pond in Highgate.
“Does anyone know what this is, are they burning remains from surgery as some suggest or syringes?”
You may also want to watch:
“I do know this is close to my flat in Belsize park and wonder if this is dangerous to those who live downwind.”
We have since learned that the Royal Free uses steam circuits to heat the hospital and one of the valves blew away on Thursday.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
The valve was repaired, but it blew away again on Saturday night.
Our readers will be interested to know the valve has since been replaced.