Mystery of smoke coming from Royal Free Hospital cleared up
- Credit: Archant
The Ham&High and our readers were equally confused by smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital last Thursday and Saturday night
Eagle-eyed Hampstead observers have been writing in to the Ham&High about smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead last Thursday and Saturday.
Belsize Park resident Ron Vester said: “Sometimes all day one hears a loud burst of noise from roof of hospital.
“One can hear it from The Boating Pond in Highgate.
“Does anyone know what this is, are they burning remains from surgery as some suggest or syringes?”
You may also want to watch:
“I do know this is close to my flat in Belsize park and wonder if this is dangerous to those who live downwind.”
We have since learned that the Royal Free uses steam circuits to heat the hospital and one of the valves blew away on Thursday.
- 1 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 2 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 3 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 Shakespeare comedy and children's shows at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre
- 9 Boundary changes plan would 'split' Hampstead and see new Muswell Hill seat
- 10 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
The valve was repaired, but it blew away again on Saturday night.
Our readers will be interested to know the valve has since been replaced.