Mystery of smoke coming from Royal Free Hospital cleared up
- Credit: Archant
The Ham&High and our readers were equally confused by smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital last Thursday and Saturday night
Eagle-eyed Hampstead observers have been writing in to the Ham&High about smoke and noise coming from the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead last Thursday and Saturday.
Belsize Park resident Ron Vester said: “Sometimes all day one hears a loud burst of noise from roof of hospital.
“One can hear it from The Boating Pond in Highgate.
“Does anyone know what this is, are they burning remains from surgery as some suggest or syringes?”
You may also want to watch:
“I do know this is close to my flat in Belsize park and wonder if this is dangerous to those who live downwind.”
We have since learned that the Royal Free uses steam circuits to heat the hospital and one of the valves blew away on Thursday.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 4 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 5 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 8 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 9 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 10 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
The valve was repaired, but it blew away again on Saturday night.
Our readers will be interested to know the valve has since been replaced.