Mystery of bizarre attempted burglary at estate agency
BUNGLING burglars tried to break into a Crouch End estate agent at 2am today but they were thwarted by a clearly visible security grille. Staff at Greene & Co, in Broadway Parade, are perplexed as to why their business was targeted because no money is kep
BUNGLING burglars tried to break into a Crouch End estate agent at 2am today but they were thwarted by a clearly visible security grille.
Staff at Greene & Co, in Broadway Parade, are perplexed as to why their business was targeted because no money is kept on the premises.
Gideon Gold, 26, who works there said: "The clever people who did this didn't seem to notice that there is security grille which would have inhibited their entry. And we don't keep money on the premises anyway.
"Unfortunately these things happen. But it's not very pleasant when you come in at eight o'clock in the morning and find the front window and door have been smashed in.
You may also want to watch:
"We're not sure how much damage has been caused yet but the glass will have to be replaced.
It is believed that two male suspects targeted the shop in the early hours and fled empty handed on a moped.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 3 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
An alarm system alerted police that there had been a break-in and members of the public are also believed to have come forward as witnesses.
Mr Gold said that Crouch Enders have shown their community spirit by rallying around and making sure staff at the shop had not been hurt in the attack.
He added: "Lots of shopkeepers and Crouch End residents have been into to check we are ok, which is very endearing."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Det Con Jane Reid of Haringey's Burglary Squad on 020-8345 0887; or contact crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.