Mystery Highgate diner picks up bill for pair who watched her bag
Two ladies got an unexpected birthday treat when a fellow diner at a Highgate restaurant paid for their lunches – because they looked after her bag when she visited the bathroom.
Diana Binstead celebrated turning 69 with her friend Shiela Armstrong at the French bistro Cote in Highgate High Street on October 4.
The pair, who always mark their birthdays with a restaurant meal, were enjoying a glass of white wine and plate of risotto when a lady sitting nearby asked them to look after her laptop computer and bag while she visited the bathroom.
Thinking nothing of it, the women agreed and returned to their lunch.
But when they asked for the bill, the women were surprised to hear that their tab has already been picked up.
Astonished Ms Binstead said: “We were really shocked when we heard she had paid.
“It was such a nice, kind thing for her to do. We floated out of that restaurant, it made our day.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 8 Haringey to splash £54m on Civic Centre makeover and extension
- 9 Camden gets £400k to overhaul planning system
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
“We wanted to thank her, but we have no idea who she is or how to get in touch.
“We just wanted to get the message out there to thank her.”