Mystery explosions that go bang in the night shake Highgate and Muswell Hill homes
Mysterious “explosions” causing houses to shake in Highgate have become the focus of a police investigation.
Several people living in Priory Gardens said they regularly hear deep booms that have been likened to the sound of a gas explosion.
The noise is so loud that many say it causes their houses to shake in their foundations.
TV producer Carrie Kirkpatrick, said: “It’s just so mysterious. Sometimes it’s more than once a week and then you don’t hear it for a while.
“Friday night seems to be most popular. It can be at any time between 10pm and midnight.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m still awake at that time, and my eight-year-old says, ‘I wish the loud bangs would stop’.”
The mother-of-one has reported the noises, which were first heard 18 months ago, to police and Haringey Council.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
Both were unable to identify where the sounds might be coming from and will continue investigations into the cause of the explosive booms. Residents in Wellfield Road, Muswell Hill, have also reported hearing the noises.
Those who have heard the explosions have also reported seeing flashes in the sky, but they don’t believe the noises could be from fireworks.
Some suggested the sounds may be caused by excavation work at Shepherd’s Hill allotment.
But the team in charge of the green space said no excavation work has taken place at the times people have reported hearing the noises.
An electrical substation in Shepherd’s Hill has also been considered as a possible source of the bangs. Others have come up with more inventive explanations.
“Some people have asked, could it be fracking or military manoeuvres?” Ms Kirkpatrick said. “It’s Highgate, it’s not military manoeuvres.
“They said it could be the Underground, but they wouldn’t be doing explosive work at night without telling us.
“Some of my friends are suggesting it is a paranormal occurrence. I think we need to stalk out the woods at night.”
Cllr Lyn Weber, independent member for Crouch End on Haringey Council, said it was an “intriguing mystery”.
“I wondered whether it was something to do with the big basement works [at Witanhurst house] up in Highgate,” she said.
Residents should report the explosion sounds to Haringey Council’s noise team on 020 8489 0000.