My West Hampstead: Celebrity ink artist Dan Gold on his drunken tattoo from Kate Moss, secret street art and independent shops
- Credit: Archant
Tattoo artist Dan Gold, 41, has inked almost everyone from Kate Moss to Peaches Geldof at his studio. The father-of-one has lived in Sumatra Road, West Hampstead, for three years but has been making street art and tattooing rock stars for more than two decades.
What bought you to West Hampstead?
I’ll never forget that hot summer’s evening when I took a wrong turn down West End Lane and in a blind panic turned down Mill Lane. I instantly knew that it was here I wanted to live, work and bring up my children.
What’s your favourite thing about the area?
For me, the best thing about West Hampstead is the people. It’s like living in a sleepy little village in the middle of a bustling metropolis. No other place that I know of can you get a coffee, have your back clicked, your beard trimmed, your bike fixed, buy your girlfriend some flowers and a vintage bottle of bubbly, take her for a meal and a pint, all in local and beautiful independent shops.
What makes you smile on your way home?
There’s a small bit of street art that I put up. I don’t know if anyone has found it yet but it makes me smile every time I walk home.
- 1 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 4 'First public sculpture' of Mother of Methodism carved in East Finchley
- 5 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 6 Full fibre broadband rollout coming to Crouch End and Barking
- 7 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 8 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 9 'Buddhism or biscuits? From toy designer to a Hampstead Unitarian minister'
- 10 Roadworks and rail disruptions in north London over the next week
If you were the mayor for one day what would you change?
I’d change the stupidly high business rates that the small independent shops have to pay.
How would you spend your perfect Sunday in West Hampstead?
If the weather is nice we will have a small barbecue and, as we have quite a public front garden, it doesn’t take long before it fills up with friends. If it’s raining, we will have a Sunday lunch in one of the beautiful local pubs.
In a film about your life, who would play you and why?
I think there’s only one way you could make a film of my life and it would have to be an animation. My life has been so ridiculous that no-one would believe any of the things that have happened, from getting a drunken tattoo from Kate Moss in her kitchen to taking the godfather of British crime, Freddie Foreman, to an Iron Maiden gig.
Who is the most interesting person you have ever tattooed?
I seem to tattoo everyone who’s anyone at the moment, from Britney Spears to Nigel Havers, but I always find that the most interesting people are everyday people, whether that’s the binman who’s a secret art collector or the waitress who has travelled the world and has a full body suit.