My Highgate: Gate Deli owner Jaymini Patel mourns loss of traditional shops in Archway Road
Jaymini Patel has run Gate Delicatessen, otherwise known as Deli and Delights, in Highgate with her husband Sanjay for 26 years. The mother-of-two lives in Hertfordshire but commutes to Highgate every day.
How has Highgate changed since you moved to the area?
We have seen many changes to the Archway Road. The variety of shops available to the residents has changed. The traditional fruit and veg shop and the butchers have been a huge loss to this side of Archway Road.
What is your favourite thing about Highgate?
Highgate Woods and all the green surroundings.
You may also want to watch:
What would you change about Highgate?
I would love to see this part of Highgate more pedestrian friendly with less traffic flow and more pebbled streets to give it that old-fashioned feel, and bring back the traditional shops.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 6 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion?
I would campaign for cleaner streets. I hate dog owners leaving mess on our pavements. I would love to campaign for more support for small local business from the councils, whether it’s waste disposal, parking or business rates. Councils and business should work together to make the area thrive.
What makes you smile on your way home?
Having a good natter with my local customers who have become a part of our everyday lives.
How would you spend your perfect Sunday in Highgate?
A picnic in the park – the hardest part is choosing which park.
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met?
My parents are my inspiration, they always taught me to work with a smile.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say?
The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does.