My Highgate: A house of theatre lovers drew actor Matt Butcher to N6 and he hasn’t looked back
Matt Butcher, 43, has been acting for 10 years since graduating from drama school in Sydney. He has appeared in plays as well as films, including one directed by the late Heath Ledger. He has lived in the same place in Highgate on and off since 2008 and appears in A Midsummer Night’s Dream on the Tea Lawn at Lauderdale House next month.
What brought you to Highgate? Studying acting at RADA in 2008 I saw an ad on the student notice board - room in a house in Highgate with some theatre lovers. I moved into Talbot Road that summer and have been there on and off ever since.
What is your favourite thing about the area? It’s quiet and safe, convenient to central London but, at the same time, Highgate Village feels suburban and like it’s a million miles from the West End.
Which is your favourite shop in the area? I love the Village Deli. A great range of exciting and unusual foods.
What is the area’s best kept secret? That would have to be Lauderdale House and the grounds..
You may also want to watch:
What is missing from the area? I don’t think there is anything that Highgate doesn’t have.
What makes you smile on your way home? Seeing people enjoying a summer’s evening in The Woodman pub in Archway Road, or piling out of a show at Jacksons Lane.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
If you were mayor for a day, what would you change? Adding a couple more stops to the C11 bus route.
How would you spend your perfect Sunday? A picnic blanket, wine and cheese and Shakespeare on the Tea Lawn at Lauderdale House.
What tips would you give to somebody moving to the area? Highgate is very convenient for so many places.
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? I spend time each year working in Australia and there is a suburb there called Surry Hills. It is vibrant, and has a great artistic community and theatre.
What’s the best thing about being an actor? Never knowing what you are going to get to do next.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say? He made us laugh, he made us cry, he enjoyed himself at the same time and never stopped chasing his dreams.
Matt Butcher was in conversation with Amie Keeley.