My Hampstead Garden Suburb: Sky News presenter Samantha Simmonds calls for more Suburb Trust ‘transparency’
- Credit: Archant
Sky News presenter Samantha Simmonds lives with her husband Phillip Davies and their three children in Hampstead Garden Suburb. Phillip owns the online auction business Flogit4u, in Haverstock Hill, Belsize Park.
What brought you to Hampstead Garden Suburb?
It was more the “garden” than the “suburb” that attracted us to the area. Expecting our first child and living in a flat in Belsize Park – like many young families we opted for space over a more central location. Having lots of friends and some family in the area was also a big draw.
You have a day off to spend as you wish in the area, what would you get up to?
A walk through Hampstead Heath to meet my husband – pick up some food from Melrose and Morgan in Hampstead and a nice bottle of wine from Jeroboams. Then head up to Primrose Hill for a picnic followed by a massage at Aveda.
What makes the Suburb a special place to live?
The fabulous parks are a major factor with a young family in tow – we have two newly redeveloped ones on our doorstep and Highgate Woods is a great place for childhood adventures. Plus with our eldest child at a local school, there is a lovely sense of community.
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 3 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 4 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 5 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 6 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 7 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 8 Disabled swimmer loses court battle over Heath swimming prices
- 9 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
- 10 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
Is there anything about the Suburb which you would like to see changed or improved?
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust – while it serves a good purpose – needs to be more transparent in its decision-making process.
A film is set to be made about your life. Which actor would you choose to play you?
It would have to be Rachel Weisz – she’s a north London girl who has played a journalist before in the film Definitely, Maybe – and I’ve been told on occasion my husband bares a passing resemblance to Daniel Craig!
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met?
Dame Doreen Lawrence. Covering the conviction of two men for the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence 19 years after his brutal killing was tremendously moving. His mother’s ceaseless determination to see justice and her never-ending dignity were awe-inspiring.
If you had to write your own epitaph, what would it say?
She read it her way...
Samantha Simmonds was in conversation with Tim Lamden