My Golders Green: ‘Bring back a cinema and open more bookshops,’ says former newspaper editor
- Credit: Archant
Irene Newton, 58, is a former editor of the New Zealand Jewish Chronicle. The mother-of-two has lived in Golders Green for more than 20 years and now works for the London Jewish Cultural Centre, in Ivy House, North End Road, Golders Green. She programmes the Ivy House Music & Dance, Book and Poetry Circle events.
What brought you to Golders Green?
I’ve lived in Golders Green since 1991 with my husband and two children. I was born in New Zealand and arrived in London in 1983. We knew Golders Green well because my husband grew up here. But most of all we loved the fact that in our street there were people from every continent in the world.
You have a day off to spend as you wish in the area, what would you get up to?
I would walk in Golders Hill Park, enjoy events next door at the London Jewish Cultural Centre, eat out and buy books.
You may also want to watch:
Is there anything about Golders Green which you would like to see changed or improved?
Yes, I would very much like to improve the Golders Green Road – make it tree-lined, boost its extraordinary multicultural atmosphere, bring back a cinema and open more bookshops. It’s potentially one of the most interesting streets in London.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 4 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 8 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 9 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
As guest editor of the Ham&High for a day, what one local issue would you most like to see reported?
The prevalence of litter and the dumping of rubbish – we need to make people more aware of the harm this causes, not only to our hygiene, but also to our pride and wellbeing.
A film is set to be made about your life. Which actress would you choose to play you?
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met?
Both my children.
If you had to write your own epitaph, what would it say?