Muswell Hill school closed down because of asbestos risk
A MUSWELL Hill school has been closed down by a potential asbestos risk. Pupils were due to return to Fortismere School this morning following the Easter break, but a large part of the site has been quarantined after an asbestos risk arose during minor bu
A MUSWELL Hill school has been closed down by a potential asbestos risk.
Pupils were due to return to Fortismere School this morning following the Easter break, but a large part of the site has been quarantined after an asbestos risk arose during minor building works on the south wing main block.
A statement on the school website says: "Because of the large number of classrooms involved I have decided to close the school for students on Monday April 19 in order that strategic plans can be considered for the subsequent days and weeks.
"Clearly, in the first instance, the health and safety of personnel will be of paramount importance.
You may also want to watch:
"The next priority will be to find the optimum way forward for the continued education of all our students, but especially those preparing for imminent public examinations.
"I would ask parents and carers to check the website for further information and would be grateful for your patience and understanding whilst we try to find the most effective but safe way to deal with the situation."
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
Pupils and parents can keep track of the situation at www.fortismere.haringey.sch.uk
For more, see this week's Ham and High Broadway