Muswell Hill school closed down because of asbestos risk
A MUSWELL Hill school has been closed down by a potential asbestos risk. Pupils were due to return to Fortismere School this morning following the Easter break, but a large part of the site has been quarantined after an asbestos risk arose during minor bu
A MUSWELL Hill school has been closed down by a potential asbestos risk.
Pupils were due to return to Fortismere School this morning following the Easter break, but a large part of the site has been quarantined after an asbestos risk arose during minor building works on the south wing main block.
A statement on the school website says: "Because of the large number of classrooms involved I have decided to close the school for students on Monday April 19 in order that strategic plans can be considered for the subsequent days and weeks.
"Clearly, in the first instance, the health and safety of personnel will be of paramount importance.
You may also want to watch:
"The next priority will be to find the optimum way forward for the continued education of all our students, but especially those preparing for imminent public examinations.
"I would ask parents and carers to check the website for further information and would be grateful for your patience and understanding whilst we try to find the most effective but safe way to deal with the situation."
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
Pupils and parents can keep track of the situation at www.fortismere.haringey.sch.uk
For more, see this week's Ham and High Broadway