Muswell Hill golfers are clubbing together for Sammy
The fourth instalment of Swing for Sammy, the annual charity golf tournament that has raised almost �50,000 in the past three years, takes place at Muswell Hill Golf Club next week.
Swing for Sammy, which is staged in honour of north London school teacher Samantha Trow, who died of Bowel Cancer in February 2008, last year raised more that �14,000 for a variety of charities.
The competition, which is open to amateurs and professionals playing in teams of four, was the brainchild of Samantha’s husband Ben Trow and met with immediate success when it was first staged in the summer of 2008.
“Straight away, we were amazed by the scale of support the event attracted,” said Paul Trow, the co-organiser and Muswell Hill vice-chairman.
“From companies donating prizes and auction items, to individuals making donations or committing to take part on the day, it brought home to us how the modern plague of cancer has affected the lives of almost everyone.
You may also want to watch:
“The venture has raised a lot more money than we initially thought possible,” said Trow ahead of this year’s event, which will take place on Friday July 29.
“The successful fundraising has strengthened our resolve to continue with the event for as long as it can to contribute to the ongoing war against cancer.”
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
Entries, from individuals or teams, should be sent to: Adrian Hobbs, Manager, Muswell Hill Golf Club, Rhodes Avenue, London N22 7UT (cheques made out to Muswell Hill GC).
For further information, call Adrian Hobbs on 0208 888 1764 or Paul Trow on 07973 862747.