Muswell Hill golfers are clubbing together for Sammy
The fourth instalment of Swing for Sammy, the annual charity golf tournament that has raised almost �50,000 in the past three years, takes place at Muswell Hill Golf Club next week.
Swing for Sammy, which is staged in honour of north London school teacher Samantha Trow, who died of Bowel Cancer in February 2008, last year raised more that �14,000 for a variety of charities.
The competition, which is open to amateurs and professionals playing in teams of four, was the brainchild of Samantha’s husband Ben Trow and met with immediate success when it was first staged in the summer of 2008.
“Straight away, we were amazed by the scale of support the event attracted,” said Paul Trow, the co-organiser and Muswell Hill vice-chairman.
“From companies donating prizes and auction items, to individuals making donations or committing to take part on the day, it brought home to us how the modern plague of cancer has affected the lives of almost everyone.
You may also want to watch:
“The venture has raised a lot more money than we initially thought possible,” said Trow ahead of this year’s event, which will take place on Friday July 29.
“The successful fundraising has strengthened our resolve to continue with the event for as long as it can to contribute to the ongoing war against cancer.”
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
Entries, from individuals or teams, should be sent to: Adrian Hobbs, Manager, Muswell Hill Golf Club, Rhodes Avenue, London N22 7UT (cheques made out to Muswell Hill GC).
For further information, call Adrian Hobbs on 0208 888 1764 or Paul Trow on 07973 862747.