Muswell Hill golfers are clubbing together for Sammy
The fourth instalment of Swing for Sammy, the annual charity golf tournament that has raised almost �50,000 in the past three years, takes place at Muswell Hill Golf Club next week.
Swing for Sammy, which is staged in honour of north London school teacher Samantha Trow, who died of Bowel Cancer in February 2008, last year raised more that �14,000 for a variety of charities.
The competition, which is open to amateurs and professionals playing in teams of four, was the brainchild of Samantha’s husband Ben Trow and met with immediate success when it was first staged in the summer of 2008.
“Straight away, we were amazed by the scale of support the event attracted,” said Paul Trow, the co-organiser and Muswell Hill vice-chairman.
“From companies donating prizes and auction items, to individuals making donations or committing to take part on the day, it brought home to us how the modern plague of cancer has affected the lives of almost everyone.
You may also want to watch:
“The venture has raised a lot more money than we initially thought possible,” said Trow ahead of this year’s event, which will take place on Friday July 29.
“The successful fundraising has strengthened our resolve to continue with the event for as long as it can to contribute to the ongoing war against cancer.”
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 7 Letters: The floods!
- 8 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 9 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 10 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
Entries, from individuals or teams, should be sent to: Adrian Hobbs, Manager, Muswell Hill Golf Club, Rhodes Avenue, London N22 7UT (cheques made out to Muswell Hill GC).
For further information, call Adrian Hobbs on 0208 888 1764 or Paul Trow on 07973 862747.