Muswell Hill golfers are clubbing together for Sammy
The fourth instalment of Swing for Sammy, the annual charity golf tournament that has raised almost �50,000 in the past three years, takes place at Muswell Hill Golf Club next week.
Swing for Sammy, which is staged in honour of north London school teacher Samantha Trow, who died of Bowel Cancer in February 2008, last year raised more that �14,000 for a variety of charities.
The competition, which is open to amateurs and professionals playing in teams of four, was the brainchild of Samantha’s husband Ben Trow and met with immediate success when it was first staged in the summer of 2008.
“Straight away, we were amazed by the scale of support the event attracted,” said Paul Trow, the co-organiser and Muswell Hill vice-chairman.
“From companies donating prizes and auction items, to individuals making donations or committing to take part on the day, it brought home to us how the modern plague of cancer has affected the lives of almost everyone.
“The venture has raised a lot more money than we initially thought possible,” said Trow ahead of this year’s event, which will take place on Friday July 29.
“The successful fundraising has strengthened our resolve to continue with the event for as long as it can to contribute to the ongoing war against cancer.”
- 1 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 5 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 6 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 7 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 8 Two more charged in connection with Olsi Kuka killing in Barnet
- 9 Royal beacon in Golders Hill shines light for Queen
- 10 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
Entries, from individuals or teams, should be sent to: Adrian Hobbs, Manager, Muswell Hill Golf Club, Rhodes Avenue, London N22 7UT (cheques made out to Muswell Hill GC).
For further information, call Adrian Hobbs on 0208 888 1764 or Paul Trow on 07973 862747.