Muswell Hill Golf Club’s ladies overcome Hendon to retain Middlesex scratch title
Muswell Hill Golf Club’s ladies retained the prestigious Middlesex five-a-side scratch title after beating Hendon in the final at Stanmore on Saturday.
Captained by Beverley Broad, Muswell Hill performed superbly and, when they took a decisive 3-1 lead, the remaining players were called in.
Meanwhile, the seventh annual Swing for Sammy event is on course to raise more than £20,000 for charity after another hugely successful occasion in July.
The day is staged in memory and honour of Samantha Trow (nee St John), a teacher at Brooklands primary school in East Finchley, who died of bowel cancer aged 26 in February 2008.
The principal beneficiary was Cancer Research UK again, but donations were also made to St Mark’s Hospital Foundation, the Royal Marsden Hospital, Hospice in the Weald and North London Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
Samantha’s father, Paul Trow, said: “This is an incredible sum of money for a modest suburban golf club to raise from a single event, and is an enormous credit to the membership and the staff, all of whom have been fantastically supportive over the seven years it’s been going.
“You have the heartfelt thanks of ourselves, the organisers and the charities we support. The level of commitment from everyone involved proves how importantly we all take the ongoing war against cancer and the extent to which this dreadful disease has affected us, either directly or through our families and friends.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 4 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 5 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 8 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 Hampstead's Karma Bread thanks Royal Free staff with baked goods
“It is inconceivable that Swing for Sammy won’t take place next year. Indeed, it is a brand with which Muswell Hill Golf Club is now umbilically linked.”
You can still donate at www.justgiving.com/bentrow