Muswell Hill Golf Club’s ladies overcome Hendon to retain Middlesex scratch title
Muswell Hill Golf Club’s ladies retained the prestigious Middlesex five-a-side scratch title after beating Hendon in the final at Stanmore on Saturday.
Captained by Beverley Broad, Muswell Hill performed superbly and, when they took a decisive 3-1 lead, the remaining players were called in.
Meanwhile, the seventh annual Swing for Sammy event is on course to raise more than £20,000 for charity after another hugely successful occasion in July.
The day is staged in memory and honour of Samantha Trow (nee St John), a teacher at Brooklands primary school in East Finchley, who died of bowel cancer aged 26 in February 2008.
The principal beneficiary was Cancer Research UK again, but donations were also made to St Mark’s Hospital Foundation, the Royal Marsden Hospital, Hospice in the Weald and North London Hospice.
Samantha’s father, Paul Trow, said: “This is an incredible sum of money for a modest suburban golf club to raise from a single event, and is an enormous credit to the membership and the staff, all of whom have been fantastically supportive over the seven years it’s been going.
“You have the heartfelt thanks of ourselves, the organisers and the charities we support. The level of commitment from everyone involved proves how importantly we all take the ongoing war against cancer and the extent to which this dreadful disease has affected us, either directly or through our families and friends.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 3 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 6 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 9 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 10 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
“It is inconceivable that Swing for Sammy won’t take place next year. Indeed, it is a brand with which Muswell Hill Golf Club is now umbilically linked.”
You can still donate at www.justgiving.com/bentrow