Muswell Hill woman walks 60 miles in 17 hours for sister who has pancreatic cancer
- Credit: Archant
A Muswell Hill woman walked 60 miles in just under 17 hours on Saturday to fundraise for pancreatic cancer.
Dr Jane Stephens’ sister, Anni, 62, was diagnosed with the disease last August – so Jane wanted to raise awareness of her story, the cancer’s symptoms, and how Anni has defied doctors’ expectations to still be alive today.
Jane, a 59-year-old business coach, walked 60 miles in 16 hours and 56 minutes, doing loops through Muswell Hill, Crouch End, Highgate, Alexandra Palace and Hampstead Garden Suburb.
With the symptoms of pancreatic cancer listed on her rucksack, she set off on July 18 at 5.45am and finished at 10.45pm.
Jane told the Ham&High her fundraiser was particularly special to her, Anni, family and friends for the relationships and connections it developed, with some applauding or joining in parts of the walk as Jane went past.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “This was all about people connecting and being positive and supportive to each other.
“At the end of the day all that matters is the relationships that we have, so it was lovely to see how everyone came together for it.”
To donate to the fundraiser for Pancreatic Cancer UK click here.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 10 'The flood took everything': Maida Vale family watched floods destroy home