Muswell Hill woman walks 60 miles in 17 hours for sister who has pancreatic cancer
- Credit: Archant
A Muswell Hill woman walked 60 miles in just under 17 hours on Saturday to fundraise for pancreatic cancer.
Dr Jane Stephens’ sister, Anni, 62, was diagnosed with the disease last August – so Jane wanted to raise awareness of her story, the cancer’s symptoms, and how Anni has defied doctors’ expectations to still be alive today.
Jane, a 59-year-old business coach, walked 60 miles in 16 hours and 56 minutes, doing loops through Muswell Hill, Crouch End, Highgate, Alexandra Palace and Hampstead Garden Suburb.
With the symptoms of pancreatic cancer listed on her rucksack, she set off on July 18 at 5.45am and finished at 10.45pm.
Jane told the Ham&High her fundraiser was particularly special to her, Anni, family and friends for the relationships and connections it developed, with some applauding or joining in parts of the walk as Jane went past.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “This was all about people connecting and being positive and supportive to each other.
“At the end of the day all that matters is the relationships that we have, so it was lovely to see how everyone came together for it.”
To donate to the fundraiser for Pancreatic Cancer UK click here.
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 8 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill