Muswell Hill Foodbank volunteers deliver lunch boxes for children on free school meals
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers from Muswell Hill Foodbank delivered lunch boxes for children on free school meals to 40 families this week.
The community effort was driven by Bounds Green parents and friends Janine Hamrahian and Liz Bell after England footballer Marcus Rashford continued his campaign to ensure kids from disadvantaged backgrounds are fed over half-term.
Using social media, Janine and Liz raised almost £4,000 to hire a hall to pack and distribute the lunch boxes. Helpers from Muswell Hill Foodbank then delivered them to local schoolchildren most in need.
Muswell Hill Foodbank manager Vic Mason said the free meals were a “life-saver” and that families were “overwhelmed” by the community’s support.
Vic told this newspaper: “We helped out with extra food parcels for children on free school meals over the summer but since then our stocks have been low. So we were delighted to be offered these boxes and deliver them to some of our families over half-term.
You may also want to watch:
Local chef Janine has made and delivered hundreds of meals for local families during the pandemic, including to families in Muswell Hill and Crouch End.
Vic added: “Janine, Liz and their helpers have put this together in a matter of days and worked all weekend. We hope the responses our volunteers have had when delivering the parcels has made it all worthwhile.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 6 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
Each lunch box contains £15 of food and is enough for a week’s lunches for two children, including cereal, porridge, milk, bread, butter, fresh fruit, salad, tinned soup, chopped tomatos, baked beans, baby food, biscuits, popcorn, crisps and a packet of sweets.
Muswell Hill Foodbank delivered 40 boxes at the beginning of this week and Bounds Green Foodbank has taken a delivery of 50 boxes.