Muswell Hill Foodbank volunteers deliver lunch boxes for children on free school meals
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers from Muswell Hill Foodbank delivered lunch boxes for children on free school meals to 40 families this week.
The community effort was driven by Bounds Green parents and friends Janine Hamrahian and Liz Bell after England footballer Marcus Rashford continued his campaign to ensure kids from disadvantaged backgrounds are fed over half-term.
Using social media, Janine and Liz raised almost £4,000 to hire a hall to pack and distribute the lunch boxes. Helpers from Muswell Hill Foodbank then delivered them to local schoolchildren most in need.
Muswell Hill Foodbank manager Vic Mason said the free meals were a “life-saver” and that families were “overwhelmed” by the community’s support.
Vic told this newspaper: “We helped out with extra food parcels for children on free school meals over the summer but since then our stocks have been low. So we were delighted to be offered these boxes and deliver them to some of our families over half-term.
You may also want to watch:
Local chef Janine has made and delivered hundreds of meals for local families during the pandemic, including to families in Muswell Hill and Crouch End.
Vic added: “Janine, Liz and their helpers have put this together in a matter of days and worked all weekend. We hope the responses our volunteers have had when delivering the parcels has made it all worthwhile.”
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Each lunch box contains £15 of food and is enough for a week’s lunches for two children, including cereal, porridge, milk, bread, butter, fresh fruit, salad, tinned soup, chopped tomatos, baked beans, baby food, biscuits, popcorn, crisps and a packet of sweets.
Muswell Hill Foodbank delivered 40 boxes at the beginning of this week and Bounds Green Foodbank has taken a delivery of 50 boxes.