Shop Local: Muswell Hill and Crouch End traders need support ‘now more than ever’
- Credit: Archant
“Devastated” traders in Muswell Hill and Crouch End say that local shopping is needed “now more than ever” ahead of the nationwide Covid-19 lockdown on Thursday.
Haringey businesses including restaurants, pubs and hairdressers will be forced to shut until at least December 2 after the prime minister announced nationwide restrictions to curb the rise of coronavirus.
The move will hit local businesses, many of which are struggling to survive, at the worst time before Christmas, which they were relying on for an upturn in sales.
The Ham&High’s Shop Local campaign is urging communities to support independent traders through this unprecedented period of challenge.
Deanna Bogdanovic, from Muswell Business, said: “This time around the majority of businesses will not be able to reopen after a lockdown.
“We were all banking on Christmas shopping to pull us through but it looks like that’s no longer possible.
“Businesses can get half a year’s worth of sales in the lead up to Christmas. Not this year.
“Our traders have done their best to follow the rules and they’ve got this major setback now.”
The Muswell Hill traders association chief asked shoppers to support local businesses either in-person, if they are exempt from closing, or by ordering goods online.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
Lewis Freeman, the chair of the Crouch End Traders Association, said: “Many Crouch End businesses are truly devastated about the new announcement, especially as many spent a considerable sum of money on ensuring their businesses are Covid safe.
“Businesses such as Foxy Groomers can operate with almost no physical interaction between customers and staff.
“However it is clear the government needed to take action to control the spread of the virus, and with the right support from local and central government we are confident the local businesses will make it successfully though this latest lockdown.
“My message to locals is: Please do shop local, use local delivery services – we need each other now more than ever.”
For a list of businesses in Muswell Hill which are open over lockdown click here.
The Ham&High’s Shop Local campaign is designed to highlight the hidden – and not so hidden – gems on our high streets. If you run a shop in our area we should be shouting about, email firstname.lastname@example.org