Muswell Hill celebrates its unsung heroes
- Credit: Archant
A community has saluted its unsung heroes in a special awards ceremony.
Five winners were hailed “Local Gems” in Saturday’s Midsummer Muswell celebration.
After marching from Fortis Green Road to St James Square the winners were presented with trophies by actor Nitin Ganatra who played Masood Ahmed in Eastenders.
The “Gems” this year are: chair of the Muswell Hill and Fortis Green association John Hajdu; Big Issue seller Rose Fu and her partner Jon Gregg; Muswell Hill Methodist Church’s guitar-playing grannie Gill Simpson and Ben Wilson who turns chewing gum stuck on pavements into works of art.
The Clissold Arms’ George Karageorgis was recognised with a posthumous award.
You may also want to watch:
Winner Gill Simpson said: “Thank you so much for the opportunity to take part. This is probably the first and last time I’m involved in a parade with a marching band!”
- 1 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 2 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 5 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report