Muswell Hill celebrates its unsung heroes
- Credit: Archant
A community has saluted its unsung heroes in a special awards ceremony.
Five winners were hailed “Local Gems” in Saturday’s Midsummer Muswell celebration.
After marching from Fortis Green Road to St James Square the winners were presented with trophies by actor Nitin Ganatra who played Masood Ahmed in Eastenders.
The “Gems” this year are: chair of the Muswell Hill and Fortis Green association John Hajdu; Big Issue seller Rose Fu and her partner Jon Gregg; Muswell Hill Methodist Church’s guitar-playing grannie Gill Simpson and Ben Wilson who turns chewing gum stuck on pavements into works of art.
The Clissold Arms’ George Karageorgis was recognised with a posthumous award.
You may also want to watch:
Winner Gill Simpson said: “Thank you so much for the opportunity to take part. This is probably the first and last time I’m involved in a parade with a marching band!”
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals