Muswell Hill celebrates its unsung heroes
- Credit: Archant
A community has saluted its unsung heroes in a special awards ceremony.
Five winners were hailed “Local Gems” in Saturday’s Midsummer Muswell celebration.
After marching from Fortis Green Road to St James Square the winners were presented with trophies by actor Nitin Ganatra who played Masood Ahmed in Eastenders.
The “Gems” this year are: chair of the Muswell Hill and Fortis Green association John Hajdu; Big Issue seller Rose Fu and her partner Jon Gregg; Muswell Hill Methodist Church’s guitar-playing grannie Gill Simpson and Ben Wilson who turns chewing gum stuck on pavements into works of art.
The Clissold Arms’ George Karageorgis was recognised with a posthumous award.
You may also want to watch:
Winner Gill Simpson said: “Thank you so much for the opportunity to take part. This is probably the first and last time I’m involved in a parade with a marching band!”
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'