Muswell Hill backpacker found alive
A 19-year-old backpacker from Muswell Hill who has been missing in Australia for 12 days has been found alive. Former Alexandra Park pupil Jamie Neale went missing in dense bushland in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, on July 3. Two walkers alerted eme
A 19-year-old backpacker from Muswell Hill who has been missing in Australia for 12 days has been found alive.
Former Alexandra Park pupil Jamie Neale went missing in dense bushland in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, on July 3.
Two walkers alerted emergency services after finding Mr Neale at the Narrow Neck fire trail, near Katoomba. It is believed he got lost while out walking and was unable to attract the attention of the rescue helicopter because the density of the bush land.
Mr Neale's father, Richard Cass, who flew out to Australia to join the search, has been reunited with his son and told reporters he looked "gaunt". It is understood he survived 12 days in the open air by eating seeds and nettles.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Neale has been taken to Katoomba Hospital for treatment of dehydration and exposure.
He checked into a Katoomba youth hostel on Thursday July 2and was last seen about 9.40am on Friday July 3. His personal belongings, including a mobile phone and personal papers, were found in his room at the hostel.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'
For more on this story see tomorrow's Ham&High Broadway.