Muswell Hill backpacker found alive
A 19-year-old backpacker from Muswell Hill who has been missing in Australia for 12 days has been found alive. Former Alexandra Park pupil Jamie Neale went missing in dense bushland in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, on July 3. Two walkers alerted eme
A 19-year-old backpacker from Muswell Hill who has been missing in Australia for 12 days has been found alive.
Former Alexandra Park pupil Jamie Neale went missing in dense bushland in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, on July 3.
Two walkers alerted emergency services after finding Mr Neale at the Narrow Neck fire trail, near Katoomba. It is believed he got lost while out walking and was unable to attract the attention of the rescue helicopter because the density of the bush land.
Mr Neale's father, Richard Cass, who flew out to Australia to join the search, has been reunited with his son and told reporters he looked "gaunt". It is understood he survived 12 days in the open air by eating seeds and nettles.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Neale has been taken to Katoomba Hospital for treatment of dehydration and exposure.
He checked into a Katoomba youth hostel on Thursday July 2and was last seen about 9.40am on Friday July 3. His personal belongings, including a mobile phone and personal papers, were found in his room at the hostel.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 4 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
For more on this story see tomorrow's Ham&High Broadway.