Muswell Hill and Crouch End post offices could be privatised
The plans form part of a programme to transfer almost 40 post offices nationwide into private hands and close three more.
Post offices in Crouch End and Muswell Hill are now being put forward for private franchises and if no franchisee is found to take them on, there is a danger they could close.
Catherine West, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, has demanded an urgent meeting with post office bosses over the proposals.
In an email to the Chief Executive of the Post Office, Paula Vennells, she said: “I am concerned that you have identified Crouch End and Muswell Hill Crown Post Offices for potential franchising as both these post offices provide an important service to the community and local businesses and are particularly valued by older and less mobile residents.”
“When we meet, I would be particularly keen to hear why these branches have been identified for potential franchising, how these proposals will impact on the quality and range of service provided and what the impact will be for the staff at both these Crown Post Offices.”
Haringey councillors have also asked for a meeting with the Post Office to discuss the plans.
Cllr Gail Engert, leader of the opposition said: “The Lib Dems are concerned about the post office plans for Muswell Hill and Crouch End.
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 3 Motorists handed fines for visiting Covid-19 car park test centre
- 4 Stolen car crashes in Kentish Town leaving woman hospitalised
- 5 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 6 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 7 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 8 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 9 Hampstead Heath past and present at new exhibition of London
- 10 Pond Street potholes causing 'mini earthquake' and 'damage to homes'
“We have made it clear to them that we must keep post offices in both areas.
“We also expect them to provide the same services as we have now, with the same or better opening hours.”