Muswell Hill and Crouch End post offices could be privatised
The plans form part of a programme to transfer almost 40 post offices nationwide into private hands and close three more.
Post offices in Crouch End and Muswell Hill are now being put forward for private franchises and if no franchisee is found to take them on, there is a danger they could close.
Catherine West, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, has demanded an urgent meeting with post office bosses over the proposals.
In an email to the Chief Executive of the Post Office, Paula Vennells, she said: “I am concerned that you have identified Crouch End and Muswell Hill Crown Post Offices for potential franchising as both these post offices provide an important service to the community and local businesses and are particularly valued by older and less mobile residents.”
“When we meet, I would be particularly keen to hear why these branches have been identified for potential franchising, how these proposals will impact on the quality and range of service provided and what the impact will be for the staff at both these Crown Post Offices.”
You may also want to watch:
Haringey councillors have also asked for a meeting with the Post Office to discuss the plans.
Cllr Gail Engert, leader of the opposition said: “The Lib Dems are concerned about the post office plans for Muswell Hill and Crouch End.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 6 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
“We have made it clear to them that we must keep post offices in both areas.
“We also expect them to provide the same services as we have now, with the same or better opening hours.”