'Murder' victim wanted a better life
Sanchez Manning A YOUNG Tunisian man killed just one block away from Tony Blair s house came to Britain for a better life, police revealed this week. Atef Jablaoui, 22, died from serious head injuries he sustained during a fight with two men on the corner
A YOUNG Tunisian man killed just one block away from Tony Blair's house came to Britain for a better life, police revealed this week.
Atef Jablaoui, 22, died from serious head injuries he sustained during a fight with two men on the corner of Park West and Kendal Street, near Connaught Village.
On March 6, the night of the fatal confrontation, Mr Jablaoui was seen having a violent row with a friend, who was also of North African origin.
You may also want to watch:
The argument started in the smart Park West apartments, once the home of George Best, but later spilled out onto the street.
As the row became more heated, the friend punched Mr Jablaoui with such force he was knocked to the ground and hit his head on the kerb.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
He suffered a fracture to the back of his head and died three days later in Charing Cross Hospital.
His body was formally identified and his next of kin were informed.
A post-mortem examination at Westminster Mortuary gave cause of death as head injuries.
Detectives have now launched a hunt for his killers, who were caught on CCTV outside the Park West development and also seen by several witnesses in the area.
Investigating officer DI Andy Perrott, of the homicide and serious crime command, said: "We don't know a great deal about the victim's background.
"He is Tunisian and came to the UK in 2005, apparently for a better life.
"He rented a room in a flat in Harrow, but very recently was spending time staying with a friend at 98 Park West.
"His family are all in Tunisia and there is some suggestion that he worked as a waiter, but still to be confirmed."
Police have asked anyone else who may have witnessed the incident to contact the investigation team on 020-8785 8945 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.