MP Lynne Featherstone calls for sacking of Julie Burchill over transgender column
Hornsey and Wood Green MP Lynne Featherstone has called for the sacking of columnist Julie Burchill, after she has sparked outrage with her comments about transgender people in her newspaper column.
Freelance writer Julie Burchill, 53, described transgender people as “a bunch of bed-wetters in bad wigs” in a column for the Observer on Sunday (January 13), prompting widespread condemnation.
Former equalities minister Ms Featherstone, now at the Department for International Development, took to Twitter to vent her disgust at Ms Burchill’s view.
She wrote: “Julie Burchill rant against transgender community is absolutely disgusting - a bigoted vomit for which the Observer should sack her.”
Ms Burchill wrote the column in defence of columnist friend Suzanne Moore.
You may also want to watch:
Moore was bombarded with abuse on Twitter after writing a magazine article in which she railed against the pressure for women to look like, as she put it, “Brazilian transsexuals”.
The Observer has since removed the column from their website under the weight of public criticism.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 'One year in and the school's magic has made my world better'