Motorcyslists are their own worst enemies
Ed Wolf (H&H letters, July 3) may have more than 60 years of cycle and motor cycle experience, but his arguments on road safety are confused, and his conclusions anything but simple common sense . Cyclists and motor cyclists are users of very different
Ed Wolf (H&H letters, July 3) may have more than 60 years of cycle and motor cycle experience, but his arguments on road safety are confused, and his conclusions anything but ''simple common sense''.
Cyclists and motor cyclists are users of very different forms of transport. True, both groups can be described as vulnerable road users, but that is where the similarity ends.
Cycling is extremely safe if cyclists are given their own space - protected cycle lanes as a first choice, or lanes shared only with buses as a second choice.
The danger to motorcyclists comes largely from abuse of their own powerful machines. They do not, generally, get ''squeezed between cars''. They squeeze themselves between moving traffic to gain time on their journeys, often with fatal results.
Regarding the debate about bus lanes, we should prioritise the most environmentally-friendly transport, and that means pedestrians, cyclists, buses and taxis in that order, with all private motor vehicles last in the queue. Motorcycling is an environmentally-unfriendly activity which causes disproportionate danger to other road-users and should be discouraged.
Dr David Arditti
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
Stag Lane, Edgware