More than 10,000 sign petition to save AIR Studios
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A petition against a basement excavation next to Hampstead’s world famous AIR recording studio has 10,300 signatures.
As reported in the Ham&High, leading lights of the music and film worlds, including the head of the British Film Commission Adrian Wootton, Oscar-winning film composer Hans Zimmer, and Queen guitarist Brian May have already added their voices to the protest against a couple’s plans to build a basement leisure complex underneath their listed home in Rosslyn Hill.
The proposals, from Andrew and Elizabeth Jeffreys, are to build a basement swimming pool, gym, sauna and cinema under the house next to the studios, which were founded by Beatles producer George Martin.
Studio bosses fear the noise and vibrations from the excavations means they will be forced to close for up to six months.
With its unrivalled acoustics, AIR Studios, based in the Grade II listed former church and missionary school Lyndhurst Hall, is one of only two recording studios in the UK to provide score recording services to the major film industry.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Woolf, co-owner of AIR Studios, said he was “blown away” by the level of support.
Architect Thomas Croft said: “We understand and have taken on board the comments made by AIR Studios and are actively working to see how we can address them. We are committed to working closely with all our neighbours throughout the planning process.”
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 4 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 5 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 8 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 9 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
The petition is at: you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-air-studios