More of your views on the BNP advertising debate
I READ with astonishment your defence of the decision to publish an advert from the BNP. Astonishment because why should any newspaper in this age of so-called open democracy need to provide any explanation? I note that most of the criticism came from p
I READ with astonishment your defence of the decision to publish an advert from the BNP. Astonishment because why should any newspaper in this age of so-called open democracy need to provide any explanation? I note that most of the criticism came from politicians who demand for themselves what they are not willing to allow their opponents. The hypocrisy is on a quite stupendous scale.
Fortess Road, NW5
IN response to your decision to run an advert for the BNP, while (for the time being at least) the BNP's electoral strategists take pains to distance themselves from their party's long association with vicious racists, it would be incredibly naive not to know that the BNP is an ideological front for violent Nazis. Any newspaper is free to advertise their electoral agenda, and every newspaper is free not to advertise that agenda if their conscience and judgement dictates. This issue is not one of free speech, but one of tact and judgement, and everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Letters: The floods!
Your view that you should let BNP be heard is not valid. You did not offer a platform to Hitler, or Stalin, or the Moors murderess Myra Hindley, and you should not offer a platform to the BNP.
Their abhorrent thoughts and actions should not be promoted or passed on. Please admit that you were wrong to support them in any way, and we can all move on.
Belsize Park Gardens, NW3
RECENT TV reviews of Enoch Powell's notorious 'Rivers of Blood' speech reminded me of a blazing row I had with him soon after that, following a Conservative lunch, when colleagues stepped between us. However I worry about the way some people want to deal with the BNP. I am a dedicated supporter of Parliamentary democracy; the proper way to defeat the BNP is at the ballot box.
HUNTLY SPENCE (MBE)
Antrim Grove, NW3