More of your views on the BNP advertising debate
I READ with astonishment your defence of the decision to publish an advert from the BNP. Astonishment because why should any newspaper in this age of so-called open democracy need to provide any explanation? I note that most of the criticism came from p
I READ with astonishment your defence of the decision to publish an advert from the BNP. Astonishment because why should any newspaper in this age of so-called open democracy need to provide any explanation? I note that most of the criticism came from politicians who demand for themselves what they are not willing to allow their opponents. The hypocrisy is on a quite stupendous scale.
Fortess Road, NW5
IN response to your decision to run an advert for the BNP, while (for the time being at least) the BNP's electoral strategists take pains to distance themselves from their party's long association with vicious racists, it would be incredibly naive not to know that the BNP is an ideological front for violent Nazis. Any newspaper is free to advertise their electoral agenda, and every newspaper is free not to advertise that agenda if their conscience and judgement dictates. This issue is not one of free speech, but one of tact and judgement, and everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
Your view that you should let BNP be heard is not valid. You did not offer a platform to Hitler, or Stalin, or the Moors murderess Myra Hindley, and you should not offer a platform to the BNP.
Their abhorrent thoughts and actions should not be promoted or passed on. Please admit that you were wrong to support them in any way, and we can all move on.
Belsize Park Gardens, NW3
RECENT TV reviews of Enoch Powell's notorious 'Rivers of Blood' speech reminded me of a blazing row I had with him soon after that, following a Conservative lunch, when colleagues stepped between us. However I worry about the way some people want to deal with the BNP. I am a dedicated supporter of Parliamentary democracy; the proper way to defeat the BNP is at the ballot box.
HUNTLY SPENCE (MBE)
Antrim Grove, NW3