Monkey business at zoo as Juanita adopts an emperor
A mixed-up monkey is confusing visitors at ZSL London Zoo after taking a shine to another species baby. Maternal Juanita, a golden-headed lion tamarin, has adopted an emperor tamarin baby - much to the surprise of zookeepers. The surrogate mum, who j
A mixed-up monkey is confusing visitors at ZSL London Zoo after taking a shine to another species' baby.
Maternal Juanita, a golden-headed lion tamarin, has adopted an emperor tamarin baby - much to the surprise of zookeepers.
The surrogate mum, who jumps around the zoo's Rainforest Life exhibit with the two-month-old baby on her back, started taking an interest in her neighbours' baby just weeks after it was born.
The baby emperor tamarin, who is grey and already sporting the start of an adult's signature white moustache, was first seen clinging on to Juanita's fiery orange mane, a month after it was born.
You may also want to watch:
Emperor tamarins, native to South America, are usually brought up by their fathers who carry them until they are old enough to fend for themselves.
Senior keeper, Lucy Hawley, said: "At first the father of the emperor tamarin baby was a little nervous about Juanita - but now they all seem to get along just fine.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 8 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
"Juanita has never had a baby before so it seems like her mothering instinct has just kicked in this time around... who knows what animal she'll be carrying around next.