Mixed pond to become’women only’ while work is carried out to ladies’ pond
- Credit: Archant
The mixed pond on Hampstead Heath will be ‘women only’ for two weeks in October after management confirmed the ladies’ pond will close so that work can be carried out.
The famous pond, located off Millfield Lane, will close from October 3-16 to allow for work to provide better drainage inside the changing rooms and improved surfacing to the path, as well as repairs to the accessible shower.
During that fortnight, the mixed pond will become the women’s pond and the men’s pond will allow access to women between 7am and 8.45am.
A spokeswoman from the City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath’s facilities, said: “We are closing the ladies’ pond for two weeks so we can carry out essential works which include resurfacing the path next to the building and other repairs and additional works inside the building.
“We need to have the building closed while we carry the works out. Ladies only swimming is available at the mixed pond during the two week period from 7am until 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
“The decision to close the pond was taken in consultation with the swimmers.”
Mary Powell of the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association said: “It is inconvenient but we would rather they get it done in one fell swoop.”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 6 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach