Mixed pond to become’women only’ while work is carried out to ladies’ pond
- Credit: Archant
The mixed pond on Hampstead Heath will be ‘women only’ for two weeks in October after management confirmed the ladies’ pond will close so that work can be carried out.
The famous pond, located off Millfield Lane, will close from October 3-16 to allow for work to provide better drainage inside the changing rooms and improved surfacing to the path, as well as repairs to the accessible shower.
During that fortnight, the mixed pond will become the women’s pond and the men’s pond will allow access to women between 7am and 8.45am.
A spokeswoman from the City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath’s facilities, said: “We are closing the ladies’ pond for two weeks so we can carry out essential works which include resurfacing the path next to the building and other repairs and additional works inside the building.
“We need to have the building closed while we carry the works out. Ladies only swimming is available at the mixed pond during the two week period from 7am until 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
“The decision to close the pond was taken in consultation with the swimmers.”
Mary Powell of the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association said: “It is inconvenient but we would rather they get it done in one fell swoop.”
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 7 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United