Mixed pond to become’women only’ while work is carried out to ladies’ pond
- Credit: Archant
The mixed pond on Hampstead Heath will be ‘women only’ for two weeks in October after management confirmed the ladies’ pond will close so that work can be carried out.
The famous pond, located off Millfield Lane, will close from October 3-16 to allow for work to provide better drainage inside the changing rooms and improved surfacing to the path, as well as repairs to the accessible shower.
During that fortnight, the mixed pond will become the women’s pond and the men’s pond will allow access to women between 7am and 8.45am.
A spokeswoman from the City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath’s facilities, said: “We are closing the ladies’ pond for two weeks so we can carry out essential works which include resurfacing the path next to the building and other repairs and additional works inside the building.
“We need to have the building closed while we carry the works out. Ladies only swimming is available at the mixed pond during the two week period from 7am until 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
“The decision to close the pond was taken in consultation with the swimmers.”
Mary Powell of the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association said: “It is inconvenient but we would rather they get it done in one fell swoop.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 5 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 8 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 9 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds