Mitzvah Day: Hampstead charity kicks off 10th anniversary campaign to get people volunteering
- Credit: Archant
Mitzvah Day, the UK’s biggest faith-based day of social action, was launched in Parliament last week to a audience of MPs and peers.
Now in its 10th year, the day – run by the Hampstead charity of the same name – hopes to inspire and compel people to donate their time to local charities and good causes. It will take place on November 18.
MPs from across north London, including shadow foreign secretary and Islington North MP Emily Thornberry, Hampstead and KIlburn MP Tulip Siddiq were in attendance.
The event was organised with the Board of Deputies of British Jews and the All Party Parliamentary Group on British Jews.
Tulip Siddiq said: “I’ve been taking part in Mitzvah Day for many years – everything from cooking at JW3 to singing at the Spring Grove care home – and what I love most about it is how it brings together all the different faith communities in our area.
You may also want to watch:
“It really shows off the very best of our constituency.
“We face so many challenges today with racism, anti-Semitism and Islamophobia, but Mitzvah Day is a real show of strength and community spirit.”
- 1 'Nazanin needs her passport back on Sunday' – Tulip Siddiq MP
- 2 Jail for weapons supplier found with guns, grenades and zombie knives
- 3 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 4 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 5 Morrisons opens replacement store in Chalk Farm
- 6 Humans must take action if our species is to survive
- 7 UCS Hampstead pupils launch podcast to help GCSE history revision
- 8 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 9 Meet some of Hampstead Heath's furriest and feistiest canine visitors
- 10 Redeveloping pubs and shops steals value from surrounding homes
The Ham&High will be bringing you more stories in conjunction with Mitzvah Day over the coming month.