Miliband to miss brother Ed’s conference speech for fear of ‘distracting’ from leadership
David Miliband has announced on his blog that he will be absent from his brother Ed’s keynote speech at the annual Labour Party Conference next week.
The elder Miliband, who lives in Primrose Hill, will briefly attend the conference taking place in Liverpool from September 25-29.
But he will be at a speaking engagement in Washington when his brother addresses the party as leader.
He writes on the blog: “As is happens, I have been invited to speak at a conference in Washington on China’s rise and role in the global system, and will be there when Ed speaks on the Tuesday (September 27).”
He added that he wanted the media to concentrate on Ed’s leadership and said: “Ed is the leader and needs an open field in which to lead the party as he sees fit. I don’t want to be a distraction.
You may also want to watch:
“So I am not going to be a talking head providing commentary on TV, or a media focus for soap opera during the week. It’s Ed’s show and I want it to be a success.”
The announcement is likely to further fuel speculation about a widening rift between the siblings.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 3 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 8 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
In May, David and his violinist wife Louise Shackelton were at Ed’s wedding ceremony to Justine Thornton in Nottinghamshire.
But the couple were conspicuous by their absence from the post-wedding party at his brother’s Dartmouth Park home.