Milan greats rise to applaud their young Arsenal conquerors
Arsenal returned from Italy this morning with the plaudits ringing in their ears after their stunning 2-0 win at European champions AC Milan on Tuesday, writes Jem Maidment. Late goals from Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor sealed the Gunners place in
Arsenal returned from Italy this morning with the plaudits ringing in their ears after their stunning 2-0 win at European champions AC Milan on Tuesday, writes Jem Maidment.
Late goals from Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor sealed the Gunners' place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League on a momentous night as they became the first English side to win at the Rossoneri.
Even beaten hosts Milan were full of praise for their young conquerors.
Defender Kakha Kaladze highlighted Adebayor's influence: "We have lost against a great team, Arsenal played a great game both here at San Siro and in London. They deserved to go through.
"Adebayor has proven to be a great player who managed to hold the team ahead - they are very impressive."
Wide-eyed veteran campaigner Clarence Seedorf, who has won the competition with Ajax Amsterdam, Real Madrid and AC Milan, added: "Not for nothing are Arsenal first in the Premier League.
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 3 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 4 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 5 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 6 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 7 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 8 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
- 9 HGO double bill: modern dress baroque opera as it would have sounded centuries ago
- 10 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
"I wish them the best - let's hope that they can win the competition."
And World Player of the Year Kaka, who failed to get the better of the excellent Fabregas all evening, conceded: "Arsenal deserved this qualification, they played very well and they were more dangerous than us."
See this week's Ham&High for more Arsenal news.