Milan greats rise to applaud their young Arsenal conquerors
Arsenal returned from Italy this morning with the plaudits ringing in their ears after their stunning 2-0 win at European champions AC Milan on Tuesday, writes Jem Maidment. Late goals from Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor sealed the Gunners place in
Arsenal returned from Italy this morning with the plaudits ringing in their ears after their stunning 2-0 win at European champions AC Milan on Tuesday, writes Jem Maidment.
Late goals from Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor sealed the Gunners' place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League on a momentous night as they became the first English side to win at the Rossoneri.
Even beaten hosts Milan were full of praise for their young conquerors.
Defender Kakha Kaladze highlighted Adebayor's influence: "We have lost against a great team, Arsenal played a great game both here at San Siro and in London. They deserved to go through.
You may also want to watch:
"Adebayor has proven to be a great player who managed to hold the team ahead - they are very impressive."
Wide-eyed veteran campaigner Clarence Seedorf, who has won the competition with Ajax Amsterdam, Real Madrid and AC Milan, added: "Not for nothing are Arsenal first in the Premier League.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
"I wish them the best - let's hope that they can win the competition."
And World Player of the Year Kaka, who failed to get the better of the excellent Fabregas all evening, conceded: "Arsenal deserved this qualification, they played very well and they were more dangerous than us."
See this week's Ham&High for more Arsenal news.