MIKE McKINLEY: Perfect Wembley day brought a lump to my throat
by Mike McKinley What can I say? It was magnificent, a perfect day, a day that brought a lump to the throat, made you proud to support this famous old club. Congratulations Spurs and thank you, because that was one of the great days of my life. With so much going on, the
What can I say? It was magnificent, a perfect day, a day that brought a lump to the throat, made you proud to support this famous old club. Congratulations Spurs and thank you, because that was one of the great days of my life.
With so much going on, there are still so many snippets and cameos that live large in the memory - the hairs on the back of the neck rising with every drawn out rendition of, "Oh, When the Spurs...', the iceman's penalty and Robbie's teary sprint to hug him during the celebrations, and Juande breaking into a grin while receiving a bubbly shampoo.
And, as new as Wembley is, the place must have been very dusty because all around me everyone seemed to have something in their eye as Ledley raised the cup.
It doesn't seem possible that things seemed so bleak just a few months ago. The turnaround in fortunes has been staggering, and while players like Jenas have truly come of age there have been quality new additions that mean the future looks dazzlingly Lilywhite under the man who just seems to attract silverware.
You may also want to watch:
If Ramos's first interview in English told us no more than that he was "very happy", believe me, Juande, we are absolutely delighted to have you.
With the trophy cabinet finally less barren and European football secured for next year, there has almost been an air of "roll on next season". Lest we forget though, there's another cup to play for and Juande knows all about winning this one.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
Although Sunday felt at times like it might be going to kill me, I think I could just about handle another final this year.