MIKE McKINLEY: Perfect Wembley day brought a lump to my throat
by Mike McKinley What can I say? It was magnificent, a perfect day, a day that brought a lump to the throat, made you proud to support this famous old club. Congratulations Spurs and thank you, because that was one of the great days of my life. With so much going on, the
What can I say? It was magnificent, a perfect day, a day that brought a lump to the throat, made you proud to support this famous old club. Congratulations Spurs and thank you, because that was one of the great days of my life.
With so much going on, there are still so many snippets and cameos that live large in the memory - the hairs on the back of the neck rising with every drawn out rendition of, "Oh, When the Spurs...', the iceman's penalty and Robbie's teary sprint to hug him during the celebrations, and Juande breaking into a grin while receiving a bubbly shampoo.
And, as new as Wembley is, the place must have been very dusty because all around me everyone seemed to have something in their eye as Ledley raised the cup.
It doesn't seem possible that things seemed so bleak just a few months ago. The turnaround in fortunes has been staggering, and while players like Jenas have truly come of age there have been quality new additions that mean the future looks dazzlingly Lilywhite under the man who just seems to attract silverware.
If Ramos's first interview in English told us no more than that he was "very happy", believe me, Juande, we are absolutely delighted to have you.
With the trophy cabinet finally less barren and European football secured for next year, there has almost been an air of "roll on next season". Lest we forget though, there's another cup to play for and Juande knows all about winning this one.
- 1 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 4 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 5 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 6 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 7 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 8 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 9 Pond Street potholes causing 'mini earthquake' and 'damage to homes'
- 10 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
Although Sunday felt at times like it might be going to kill me, I think I could just about handle another final this year.