MIKE McKINLEY: Modric's return was big factor in West Ham victory
I deserve a share of the credit for the win on Monday night – not a big share admittedly, but as I don t have Setanta indoors these games usually involve a trip to my local, a place where I have only ever seen Spurs lose. So this time around with points s
I deserve a share of the credit for the win on Monday night - not a big share admittedly, but as I don't have Setanta indoors these games usually involve a trip to my local, a place where I have only ever seen Spurs lose. So this time around with points so badly required some other arrangements were made and victory assured. Can I claim a bonus from the club?
In fairness the win was probably more to do with some other people, notably Modric, Lennon and Gomes, who each produced some magic to put us on our way.
This was a very nice away performance, controlling and solid at the back and clinical enough up front. It's something we've seen far too little of in recent years. Just a little more sharpness in the final third and we'll be well on our way.
The return of Luka Modric from injury was key, as the little fella just knits our play together so efficiently. Coming to terms with the Premier League, he is increasingly showing the qualities that so excited us playing for Croatia and looks a real gem, a proper Spurs midfielder.
You may also want to watch:
The Redknapp Renaissance gets another stern test with Manchester United paying us a visit, and the chance to vent spleen at Dimitar Berbatov. The other returnee, Robbie Keane, got a mixed reaction, but I get the feeling this time it will be pretty unequivocal.
In a week where the authorities have gone very public in pursuit of fans accused of abusive songs at Fratton Park, let's hope all sides remember football inspires and needs passion on the terraces but things are kept within a reasonable boundary. Three points will be the best response.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 6 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 7 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 8 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'