Michael Palin joins the celebrations as Gospel Oak gardeners win battle with lawn mowers
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A community gardening project received a visit from a broadcasting legend as it celebrated the installation of new fencing to keep out a plague of lawn mowers.
Monty Python star Michael Palin was joined by his two grandchildren at the small meadow in Lismore Circus Community Woods, in Gospel Oak, on Saturday to inspect the sturdy new railings and help out sowing a few seeds.
The barriers have been installed after Camden Council contractors repeatedly devastated the hard work of volunteer gardeners by mowing the meadow.
Volunteer coordinator Suza Johnston, 45, of Lamble Street, said: “Michael Palin agreed to help out because he supports community initiatives and he really enjoys the garden. He lives just down the road and regularly walks through Lismore Circus and thinks we do good work.
“The council agreed for us to turn that patch of grass into a meadow area about two years ago, but council contractors would forget and go and mow it and kill it.
You may also want to watch:
“The council finally agreed to erect the wooden barrier to protect against the onslaught of lawn mowing.”
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release