Michael Gove declares ‘I love my wife and the Ham&High’ on Hampstead free school visit
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Education secretary Michael Gove was full of praise for the Ham&High and his journalist wife Sarah Vine during a visit to Camden’s first-ever free school today.
The Conservative cabinet minister dropped into St Luke’s Church of England School, in Kidderpore Avenue, Hampstead, this afternoon to find out how the primary school has progressed since its opening in September 2011.
Having toured the school and enjoyed a choir performance from pupils, Mr Gove made some time for questions before heading away from Hampstead.
The Department for Education (DfE) chief was unsurprisingly well-briefed when quizzed on his department’s work in Camden but seemed equally unfazed when questioned unexpectedly on a historic Ham&High story.
In May, the newspaper reported comments made by Ms Vine at a charity lunch in Hampstead Garden Suburb at which she told an audience she had considered sending her children to Italy to shield them from the “hate” directed towards their father.
Asked today if he was frustrated by his wife’s comments, Mr Gove told the Ham&High: “No. I love my wife - I think that she’s a fantastic journalist - and I love the Ham&High. I think it’s a fantastic newspaper.
You may also want to watch:
“I love that question. I think it’s an example of journalistic artfulness of the highest degree but more than anything I love this school, which is doing a fantastic job.
“The most important thing which I hope your reporting will reflect is the wonderful job that this school does.”
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 4 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 7 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 8 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 9 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago