Meat loaf en croute
Fancy a winter-warming recipe that’s quick, easy and won’t break the bank? Then try Ruth French’s meat loaf en croute. Serve it with bubble and squeak, paprika-sprinkled parsnips and baked fennel. Make a sweet couscous pudding with sultanas and saffron for dessert and serve with cinnamon cream. Goes well with an Italian Montepulciano red
250gms quality beef mince250gms quality pork minceRed and green pepper, dicedMedium onion, finely chopped2 cloves garlic, finely chopped2 thin slices bread, crumbedOne egg, beatenHalf teaspoonful mixed spiceHalf teaspoonful paprikaHandful fresh parsley, choppedDessertspoonful tomato pureeDash Tabasco sauceSalt and pepper to taste500gram pack ready-made puff pastryExtra egg for glazing
You may also want to watch:
Pre-heat the oven to 200 C and simply mix all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. It’s best to use your hands here to really combine everything nicely. Form the meat into a loaf shape. Now roll out the pastry into a large enough oblong to wrap the loaf ‘parcel-style’ and then tuck the ends underneath. Brush with the second egg and cut a couple of vent holes into the pastry. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until nicely golden.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 3 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
- 6 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 7 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 8 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 9 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light