Meat loaf en croute
Fancy a winter-warming recipe that’s quick, easy and won’t break the bank? Then try Ruth French’s meat loaf en croute. Serve it with bubble and squeak, paprika-sprinkled parsnips and baked fennel. Make a sweet couscous pudding with sultanas and saffron for dessert and serve with cinnamon cream. Goes well with an Italian Montepulciano red
250gms quality beef mince250gms quality pork minceRed and green pepper, dicedMedium onion, finely chopped2 cloves garlic, finely chopped2 thin slices bread, crumbedOne egg, beatenHalf teaspoonful mixed spiceHalf teaspoonful paprikaHandful fresh parsley, choppedDessertspoonful tomato pureeDash Tabasco sauceSalt and pepper to taste500gram pack ready-made puff pastryExtra egg for glazing
Pre-heat the oven to 200 C and simply mix all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. It’s best to use your hands here to really combine everything nicely. Form the meat into a loaf shape. Now roll out the pastry into a large enough oblong to wrap the loaf ‘parcel-style’ and then tuck the ends underneath. Brush with the second egg and cut a couple of vent holes into the pastry. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until nicely golden.
- 1 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 2 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 3 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 5 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 6 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after blaze destroys Abbey Road flat
- 8 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 9 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 10 Obituary: Tributes to Gospel Oak toy 'legend' Kristin Baybars