Mayor of Camden suspended by Lib Dems over benefits investigation
THE Mayor of Camden, Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari, was suspended from the Liberal Democrat group yesterday because he under investigation by the Department for Work and Pensions. The Kentish Town councillor is understood to have been questioned by benefit inv
THE Mayor of Camden, Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari, was suspended from the Liberal Democrat group yesterday because he under investigation by the Department for Work and Pensions.
The Kentish Town councillor is understood to have been questioned by benefit investigators from the DWP and released without charge although an investigation is ongoing.
Leader of the Lib Dems and the council leader Keith Moffitt called a meeting of all the Lib Dems on Monday night where it was decided to suspend Cllr Ansari.
Liberal Democrat councillor Flick Rea said: "He has been suspended from our group while he is under investigation from the Department for Work and Pensions. We had a group meeting and suspended him."
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ansari was voted in as Mayor last May and he has been a councillor in Camden since 2006. The investigation is unrelated to council funds.
Leader of the Conservatives Cllr Andrew Marshall said: "These are serious allegations, and it would not be right to comment further given the ongoing investigation. In this country everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Benefit fraud is a pernicious crime, and all of us in public office have a duty to maintain the highest standards of probity.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 4 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 10 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu