Mayor of Camden steps down amid benefits investigation
KENTISH Town councillor Omar Faruque Ansari has stepped down as the Mayor of Camden after being suspended by the Lib Dems over a benefits investigation. The former Mayor was suspended by the Liberal Democrat group yesterday because he is under investigati
KENTISH Town councillor Omar Faruque Ansari has stepped down as the Mayor of Camden after being suspended by the Lib Dems over a benefits investigation.
The former Mayor was suspended by the Liberal Democrat group yesterday because he is under investigation by the Department for Work and Pensions about disability benefits.
The councillor is understood to have been questioned by benefit investigators from the DWP and released without charge although an investigation is ongoing.
Cllr Ansari, who is registered disabled, told the Ham&High: "I have to prove my innocence now which I am. I am no longer the Mayor of Camden. When you have an allegation it is difficult to be Mayor and chair public meetings and represent the borough.
You may also want to watch:
"So I have stepped down from being a Mayor but I am still a councillor. So far I have not been charged. Unfortunately anyone can make an allegation against anyone and I am challenging this one."
Cllr Ansari was voted in as Mayor last May and he has been a councillor in Camden since 2006. The investigation is unrelated to council funds.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 3 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council