Mayor Boris has his shoulder to the eco wheel
Darren Johnson manifestly fails to paint the full picture in presenting my first year s work on green issues (Green ideas have been abandoned, H&H letters April 30). Over the last year I have made clear my commitment to protecting and improving London s e
Darren Johnson manifestly fails to paint the full picture in presenting my first year's work on green issues (Green ideas have been abandoned, H&H letters April 30).
Over the last year I have made clear my commitment to protecting and improving London's environment to enhance quality of life now and in the future. In addition to my opposition to the expansion of Heathrow and planting 10,000 street trees, I have announced a raft of measures and pledged �100million over my term of office to create a low carbon city and boost 'green collar' jobs to help ensure we emerge stronger from the recession.
This includes �6million to improve 11 parks across the capital; �3million for 10 flagship Low Carbon Zones; 25,000 electric charging points to create an electric car revolution; a public cycle hire scheme; �1million to trial lower polluting taxis; a hybrid bus fleet by 2012; a major push to boost recycling and slash landfill waste; and a drive to cut energy usage from public sector buildings, saving millions.
I am not complacent to the challenges that lie ahead, but readers can be assured that my shoulder is well and truly against the wheel to achieve a cleaner, greener London.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of London
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate