Mayor Boris has his shoulder to the eco wheel
Darren Johnson manifestly fails to paint the full picture in presenting my first year s work on green issues (Green ideas have been abandoned, H&H letters April 30). Over the last year I have made clear my commitment to protecting and improving London s e
Darren Johnson manifestly fails to paint the full picture in presenting my first year's work on green issues (Green ideas have been abandoned, H&H letters April 30).
Over the last year I have made clear my commitment to protecting and improving London's environment to enhance quality of life now and in the future. In addition to my opposition to the expansion of Heathrow and planting 10,000 street trees, I have announced a raft of measures and pledged �100million over my term of office to create a low carbon city and boost 'green collar' jobs to help ensure we emerge stronger from the recession.
This includes �6million to improve 11 parks across the capital; �3million for 10 flagship Low Carbon Zones; 25,000 electric charging points to create an electric car revolution; a public cycle hire scheme; �1million to trial lower polluting taxis; a hybrid bus fleet by 2012; a major push to boost recycling and slash landfill waste; and a drive to cut energy usage from public sector buildings, saving millions.
I am not complacent to the challenges that lie ahead, but readers can be assured that my shoulder is well and truly against the wheel to achieve a cleaner, greener London.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of London
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 10 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea