May Day fun and laughter in Muswell
PIRATES of the Caribbean actress and star of Danny Boyle’s adaption of Frankenstein Naomie Harris attended May Day celebrations in Muswell Hill.
Ms Harris joined the Hillfield Park-St James’ celebrations on Sunday May 1, crowning Carina Williams as May Queen.
Ms Harris’s mother Lisselle Kayla is local to the area which is why she was invited to take part.
Residents took part in a 500-metre race, maypole dancing, as well as entering their pooches in dog agility trials. Face painting, a treasure hunt, and “weigh the cake” game were also organised to keep May Day revellers entertained.
Hill Field Park resident Peter Thompson, 73, helped to organise the celebrations. He said: “Everybody was really pleased, not just that it was a happy occasion and that the sun shone, but that we managed to make a maypole and get the kids dancing.
You may also want to watch:
“It looked beautiful and we felt we’d achieved something in re-creating a little bit of innocent England going back to the 19th century.”
Mr Thompson added that Hillfield Park-St James’ hold an annual street party and the May Day weekend seemed the ideal time to host it with the Royal Wedding on the Friday.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 8 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 9 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
He explained: “We wanted to do it when there was a public holiday so that children did not have to worry about going to school the next day and with Royal Wedding on Friday, this seemed the perfect time.
“We had a record turnout with an estimated 200 residents enjoying the fun.”