MATCH SPY: Woodgate header eases relegation tension for Spurs
Hull City 1 Spurs 2 TOTTENHAM boosted their Premier League survival bid as Jonathan Woodgate s late header secured a 2-1 win at Hull City at the KC Stadium last night, writes PATRICK MOONEY. Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was looking for a lift going into Sun
Hull City 1 Spurs 2
TOTTENHAM boosted their Premier League survival bid as Jonathan Woodgate's late header secured a 2-1 win at Hull City at the KC Stadium last night, writes PATRICK MOONEY.
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was looking for a lift going into Sunday's Carling Cup final with Manchester United and he found it in the form of last season's Wembley hero Woodgate.
The centre-half rose with purpose in the penalty area four minutes from time to power home Benoit Assou-Ekotto's left-wing cross.
You may also want to watch:
The Lilyhites had earlier taken the lead on 17 minutes through Aaron Lennon's splendid shot from the edge of the area after a short corner.
Hull deservedly drew level 10 minutes later when Michael Turner stabbed home from close range after Spurs goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini flapped at Andy Dawson's corner.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 9 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 10 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
Spurs responded to Harry Redknapp's half-time team talk and City were forced on the defensive in the second half.
Tottenham almost regained the lead when Vedran Corluka's header from a Luka Modric free kick clipped the top of the crossbar.
Indeed, Kamil Zayatte's header, which came back off the post, was City's only chance after the break, but they appeared to be on the way to a point until Woodgate's late intervention.
Tottenham: Cudicini, Corluka, Woodgate (Dawson 89), King, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon (Zokora 87), Jenas, Palacios, Modric, Keane, Bent (Pavlyuchenko 72). Subs Not Used: Gomes, Bentley, Huddlestone, Chimbonda. Booked: Modric. Att: 24,742 .