MATCH SPY: Pompey stand firm against Reserves onslaught
Tottenham Reserves 2 Portsmouth Reserves 3 SPURS Reserves failed to benefit from a first-half lead and crashed to defeat against Portsmouth Reserves at Brisbane Road on Monday night. Clive Allen s (pictured) side slowly eased their way into the g
Tottenham Reserves 2
Portsmouth Reserves 3
SPURS Reserves failed to benefit from a first-half lead and crashed to defeat against Portsmouth Reserves at Brisbane Road on Monday night.
Clive Allen's (pictured) side slowly eased their way into the game and started to enjoy increased possession and create chances.
First teamer Hossam Ghaly had the Spurs' first chance when he glanced a header wide from David Hutton's corner, shortly before hitting a post with a left-foot shot on the half-hour mark.
Tottenham's incessant pressure paid off in the 31st minute when Charlies Daniels, at the edge of the box, got his foot to Adel Taarabt's quickly-taken free-kick and scored. Pompey's response was immediate, equalising when the unmarked Tom Kilbey headed home in the 34th minute.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 3 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 4 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 5 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 6 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 7 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 8 How the battle for Hampstead Heath inspired the National Trust
- 9 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 10 'Facile questions and ludicrous voices of opposition for "balance"'
Both teams had chances for the remainder of the half, Pompey coming closest to breaking the deadlock when Andre Blackman's fierce shot hit the crossbar.
But Tottenham remained resolute and were rewarded three minutes later when Taarabt scored with a shot from the edge of the box that was deflected into the net off an opposing player for a 2-1 lead at the break.
In the second half both teams began brightly but the visitors gradually started to raise their game and play more clinical, attacking football.
Portsmouth equalised in the 65th minute when Gael Nlundulu slammed in a rebound after Caesar Sanchez's double save.
Pompey took the lead for the first time when Richard Duffy scored with a header in the 70th minute.
But Tottenham regrouped and continued to create chances. The lively Taarabt created the best chance to equalise when he was released by Daniels in the box, but hit the bar.
Spurs kept up the pressure in the closing stages but were thwarted by a resolute Pompey defence.
Spurs: Cesar; Smith, Dervite, Rocha, Hughton; D Hutton (Fraser-Allen, 73), Maghoma, McKenna (Olsen, 82), Ghaly, Daniels, Taarabt. Subs not used: Butler, Berchiche, Mtandari.