MATCH SPY: Pompey stand firm against Reserves onslaught
Tottenham Reserves 2 Portsmouth Reserves 3 SPURS Reserves failed to benefit from a first-half lead and crashed to defeat against Portsmouth Reserves at Brisbane Road on Monday night. Clive Allen s (pictured) side slowly eased their way into the g
Tottenham Reserves 2
Portsmouth Reserves 3
SPURS Reserves failed to benefit from a first-half lead and crashed to defeat against Portsmouth Reserves at Brisbane Road on Monday night.
Clive Allen's (pictured) side slowly eased their way into the game and started to enjoy increased possession and create chances.
You may also want to watch:
First teamer Hossam Ghaly had the Spurs' first chance when he glanced a header wide from David Hutton's corner, shortly before hitting a post with a left-foot shot on the half-hour mark.
Tottenham's incessant pressure paid off in the 31st minute when Charlies Daniels, at the edge of the box, got his foot to Adel Taarabt's quickly-taken free-kick and scored. Pompey's response was immediate, equalising when the unmarked Tom Kilbey headed home in the 34th minute.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 9 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
Both teams had chances for the remainder of the half, Pompey coming closest to breaking the deadlock when Andre Blackman's fierce shot hit the crossbar.
But Tottenham remained resolute and were rewarded three minutes later when Taarabt scored with a shot from the edge of the box that was deflected into the net off an opposing player for a 2-1 lead at the break.
In the second half both teams began brightly but the visitors gradually started to raise their game and play more clinical, attacking football.
Portsmouth equalised in the 65th minute when Gael Nlundulu slammed in a rebound after Caesar Sanchez's double save.
Pompey took the lead for the first time when Richard Duffy scored with a header in the 70th minute.
But Tottenham regrouped and continued to create chances. The lively Taarabt created the best chance to equalise when he was released by Daniels in the box, but hit the bar.
Spurs kept up the pressure in the closing stages but were thwarted by a resolute Pompey defence.
Spurs: Cesar; Smith, Dervite, Rocha, Hughton; D Hutton (Fraser-Allen, 73), Maghoma, McKenna (Olsen, 82), Ghaly, Daniels, Taarabt. Subs not used: Butler, Berchiche, Mtandari.