Marylebone sex pest jailed
A PROLIFIC phone sex pest who made thousands of explicit calls to women across the country has been jailed for three years and four months. Badredean Barbar, of Salisbury Street in Marylebone, began his campaign of sexual harassment in March 2008 – just d
A PROLIFIC phone sex pest who made thousands of explicit calls to women across the country has been jailed for three years and four months.
Badredean Barbar, of Salisbury Street in Marylebone, began his campaign of sexual harassment in March 2008 - just days after he was granted an early release from prison for the same crime.
In the space of four months, Barbar made almost 5,000 X-rated calls from his mobile phone to his female victims in their workplace. Eleven victims who were traced by police said they had each received hundreds of calls from him.
The unemployed 26-year-old often targeted women he had met, including staff working in the offices of public and council services.
You may also want to watch:
He also made a large number of calls to seemingly random locations across England and showed a particular penchant for car showrooms. He would ask questions about what the women were wearing and was often heard performing sex acts upon himself while on the line.
Barbar also targeted some of the same women he had originally victimised during the first bout of pest calling which he carried out between November 2006 and August 2007.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 5 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 8 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
His previous conviction for public nuisance, to which he had also pleaded guilty, involved 45 known victims.
In that case Barbar was known to have visited public buildings in order to find women - he would later telephone the company receptionist often asking for them by name and describing their appearance.
He received a 12-month prison sentence for this offence on September 14, 2007.
Barbar's latest crimes were detected when calls were linked to him through phone data supplied by the Met's telecommunications intelligence unit.
His phone was never found, but following investigations by police in Westminster the serial sex pest was arrested for a second time at his home address on September 22 last year. He was then re-arrested in December 16 and charged.
At Southwark Crown Court last week, Barbar was sentenced to 40 months in prison, where he will receive a course of sex therapy.
He was also given a 10-year Asbo with a range of conditions including not using any phone which is not registered to him and not making unsolicited approaches to women.
Detective Constable Linda Rothera, who led the latest police investigation, said: "This sentencing is the result of a year-long investigation into a man whose actions have seriously upset and disturbed a large number of women in their workplaces.
"Barber has a long history of this type of offending and I hope he will now receive the treatment he needs to correct his behaviour.