Marylebone lovers become 5,000th couple to get engaged on London Eye
- Credit: Doug Peters
A couple’s special day turned into a landmark moment when they became the 5,000th couple to get engaged on the London Eye.
Jagan Rao, 30, used sweeping views of the London skyline as a backdrop to go down on one knee and propose to girlfriend Natasha Palmer, also 30, as the sun was setting over the capital on Saturday.
Natasha said: “I am still a little bit shocked to be honest, I never expected to be proposed to on the London Eye.
“It was amazing as we had our own capsule, Champagne, and then Jay popped the question. There was only ever going to be one answer.”
The Marylebone lovebirds first met at school and dated for nine months when they were 15, but lost touch after they broke up. At the beginning of 2012 Jay heard a song which reminded him of Natasha, and decided to contact her.
Jay, an assistant director at PriceWaterhouseCoopers Strategy, said: “I wanted somewhere memorable to pop the question and thought, ‘Where better than looking over the city we met in?’
“I contacted the London Eye to book and was told ours would be the 5,000th proposal and would I like to make it even more special with a free private capsule to ourselves, roses, Champagne and photographs of the day. It was great to see Natasha’s face!”
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 7 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
The pair are now planning their wedding for the summer of 2014, but to mark the proposals milestone, the London Eye has offered the couple a complimentary Cupid’s Capsule on the date of their proposal every year, so they can relive their magic moment.
The London Eye was voted the most romantic spot to propose on Valentine’s Day last year.