Mary Portas launches St Mary's Church fundraiser on 150th anniversary
- Credit: St Mary's
Broadcaster Mary Portas has helped a Primrose Hill church launch its new fundraising campaign.
The renowned fashion consultant spoke to 100 socially-distanced guests as St Mary's celebrated its 150th anniversary.
The party on June 22 began with live music from renowned violinists Simon Fischer and Eve Kennedy.
Mary discussed her personal experience of feeling warmly welcomed at St Mary’s when she and her same-sex partner wished to have their child baptised.
Speaking about the Grow the Wonder fundraiser, she said: "I’m passionate about communities working together for the common good.
You may also want to watch:
"And here at St Mary’s we’ve got a powerhouse of social action and spiritual nurture."
Curate at St Mary’s Primrose Hill, Reverend Em Kolltveit said: "There was so much positive energy about the plans to update our beloved but cramped building.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 8 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 9 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 10 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
"After the tough year we've all had, we're determined to open our doors to many more people and events and we need to pull together to make this happen."