Many Staffordshire Bull Terriers face an unhappy future
Earlier this year Camden Council and the Corporation of London were contemplating introducing local legislation regarding dog controls. Eventually, following local protests, they (sensibly) decided not to pursue this plan. I was, therefore, delighted t
Earlier this year Camden Council and the Corporation of London were contemplating introducing local legislation regarding dog controls.
Eventually, following local protests, they (sensibly) decided not to pursue this plan. I was, therefore, delighted to read that the legislation which is already in place to prevent owners of potentially dangerous dogs acting irresponsibly was utilised by Camden Police during Operation Cranshaw.
Sadly the Staffordshire Bull Terrier - which in the right hands can be a wonderful family pet - has become the 'hot ticket' amongst people wishing to demonstrate their 'street cred'. The rescue centres are full of Staffies and Staffie-crosses (and yes, they are often crossed with fighting breeds).
This year, during an open day held by the Corporation of London near the cafeteria on the Heath, two teenage girls stood by while their Staffie bitch (not wearing a collar and identity tag and quite clearly in season) ran free, causing chaos by attracting the attentions of all the uncastrated male dogs in the area - much to her distress.
You may also want to watch:
Dogs should not be regarded as fashion statements or cash crops, and anything which can be done to prevent irresponsible owners from acquiring a potentially dangerous dog is a step in the right direction.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
(full name and address supplied)