Man spun upside down on car bonnet before his death in Camden Town
A man died after being hit by a car and spun upside down as he was crossing the road in Camden Town, an inquest heard.
Anthony Creane was crossing Pratt Street near the junction of Camden High Street when he collided with a car on July 13 last year, St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard last Thursday, February 16.
The 63-year-old, who lived in Arlington Road, Camden Town, was rushed the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead where he died on July 22.
Deborah Connolly, who was driving the car and was described as “very shaken and upset” by police at the scene, said she has not driven since the crash.
In a statement, she said: “As I came around the corner the man was just there. He fell onto my bonnet. His body turned around completely and he fell off head first.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Creane, who was born in County Mayo in Ireland, had struggled with drink problems since he was 16.
At the time of his death, he was believed to drink 12 units of alcohol a day, four times over the recommended daily allowance.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
He had been due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court just hours before the accident, but the hearing was adjourned because he was drunk.
Coroner Selena Lynch’s verdict said Mr Creane had died after being knocked down by a car in Pratt Street.