Man found dead on Hampstead Heath is named
The identity of a man who was found dead on Hampstead Heath by passing dog walkers has been confirmed.
Photographer’s assistant Iain Mills was found hanging near a shelter on the Heath just before 9am last Thursday (October 20).
The 45-year-old, who lived in Parkway, Camden Town, and had recently moved from Exmouth Market in Islington, was found near to East Heath Road at the junction with Well Walk.
His death is believed to be the first at the popular nature spot for at least a year and Heath walkers told of their shock and sadness at the tragedy.
Dog walker Madeleine Lockyer said: “There was a helicopter here earlier circling the area. I knew from that there was something going on.
“I am just saddened that this has happened. It is sad for this to happen to anyone.”
Philip Brown, 69, who was walking his two terriers that morning, said: “It is tragic. It is quite secluded here, you don’t expect it.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 4 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 5 Crowdfunder launched to buy Mortimer Terrace Nature Reserve
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 7 Matt Lucas backs school's drive to build arts studio
- 8 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 9 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 10 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
“It is very sad.”
The body was found by dog walkers and police and ambulance crews were quickly on scene.
The death is not being treated as suspicious and an inquest was opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Monday (October 24).
A cause of death will not be confirmed until the results of toxicology tests are received.
Bodies have been discovered before on Hampstead Heath.
Last year a dead woman was found in bushes and in 2008 a patient from the Royal Free Hospital was found hanged.