Man found dead on Hampstead Heath is named
The identity of a man who was found dead on Hampstead Heath by passing dog walkers has been confirmed.
Photographer’s assistant Iain Mills was found hanging near a shelter on the Heath just before 9am last Thursday (October 20).
The 45-year-old, who lived in Parkway, Camden Town, and had recently moved from Exmouth Market in Islington, was found near to East Heath Road at the junction with Well Walk.
His death is believed to be the first at the popular nature spot for at least a year and Heath walkers told of their shock and sadness at the tragedy.
Dog walker Madeleine Lockyer said: “There was a helicopter here earlier circling the area. I knew from that there was something going on.
“I am just saddened that this has happened. It is sad for this to happen to anyone.”
Philip Brown, 69, who was walking his two terriers that morning, said: “It is tragic. It is quite secluded here, you don’t expect it.
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 3 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 7 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 8 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 9 Father's fear autistic son will 'dive through' window of unsafe West Hampstead home
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
“It is very sad.”
The body was found by dog walkers and police and ambulance crews were quickly on scene.
The death is not being treated as suspicious and an inquest was opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Monday (October 24).
A cause of death will not be confirmed until the results of toxicology tests are received.
Bodies have been discovered before on Hampstead Heath.
Last year a dead woman was found in bushes and in 2008 a patient from the Royal Free Hospital was found hanged.