Man found dead on Hampstead Heath is named
The identity of a man who was found dead on Hampstead Heath by passing dog walkers has been confirmed.
Photographer’s assistant Iain Mills was found hanging near a shelter on the Heath just before 9am last Thursday (October 20).
The 45-year-old, who lived in Parkway, Camden Town, and had recently moved from Exmouth Market in Islington, was found near to East Heath Road at the junction with Well Walk.
His death is believed to be the first at the popular nature spot for at least a year and Heath walkers told of their shock and sadness at the tragedy.
Dog walker Madeleine Lockyer said: “There was a helicopter here earlier circling the area. I knew from that there was something going on.
You may also want to watch:
“I am just saddened that this has happened. It is sad for this to happen to anyone.”
Philip Brown, 69, who was walking his two terriers that morning, said: “It is tragic. It is quite secluded here, you don’t expect it.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
“It is very sad.”
The body was found by dog walkers and police and ambulance crews were quickly on scene.
The death is not being treated as suspicious and an inquest was opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Monday (October 24).
A cause of death will not be confirmed until the results of toxicology tests are received.
Bodies have been discovered before on Hampstead Heath.
Last year a dead woman was found in bushes and in 2008 a patient from the Royal Free Hospital was found hanged.