Man found dead on Hampstead Heath is named
The identity of a man who was found dead on Hampstead Heath by passing dog walkers has been confirmed.
Photographer’s assistant Iain Mills was found hanging near a shelter on the Heath just before 9am last Thursday (October 20).
The 45-year-old, who lived in Parkway, Camden Town, and had recently moved from Exmouth Market in Islington, was found near to East Heath Road at the junction with Well Walk.
His death is believed to be the first at the popular nature spot for at least a year and Heath walkers told of their shock and sadness at the tragedy.
Dog walker Madeleine Lockyer said: “There was a helicopter here earlier circling the area. I knew from that there was something going on.
You may also want to watch:
“I am just saddened that this has happened. It is sad for this to happen to anyone.”
Philip Brown, 69, who was walking his two terriers that morning, said: “It is tragic. It is quite secluded here, you don’t expect it.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 4 Camden Council 'considers' bringing leisure centres in-house post-Covid
- 5 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 6 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 7 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 10 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
“It is very sad.”
The body was found by dog walkers and police and ambulance crews were quickly on scene.
The death is not being treated as suspicious and an inquest was opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Monday (October 24).
A cause of death will not be confirmed until the results of toxicology tests are received.
Bodies have been discovered before on Hampstead Heath.
Last year a dead woman was found in bushes and in 2008 a patient from the Royal Free Hospital was found hanged.