Man dragged under lorry suffers horrific injuries
A MAN lost his leg in an horrific accident in West Hampstead on Monday. The pedestrian, in his 50s, was involved in a collision with a lorry in West End Lane. Paramedics rushed to the scene just after 2pm while police closed off the road to traffic. Horri
A MAN lost his leg in an horrific accident in West Hampstead on Monday.
The pedestrian, in his 50s, was involved in a collision with a lorry in West End Lane.
Paramedics rushed to the scene just after 2pm while police closed off the road to traffic. Horrified passers-by could only look on as medical crews tried to save the man's leg after he became trapped under the lorry, near the junction with Iverson Road.
Lawrence King, who works at Travis Perkins on the road, rang 999.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I don't know how the man ended up under the vehicle. He was dragged six or seven metres under the wheels of the lorry before passers-by waved down the lorry to stop.
"He was conscious and making a noise, waving his arms. There was a lot of blood."
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 6 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 7 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 8 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Good Karma: Charity shop opens in former Gap in Hampstead High Street
Another man on the scene, Dominic Moyes from Paramount estate agents, said: "He lost his leg - it was missing when I went over to inform them that I'd phoned the ambulance.
"He complained about his leg but I didn't want to bring his attention to the fact it was missing. It was an horrific thing to see. I just hope the guy is OK."
Police kept the road closed until after 5pm to conduct investigations. A spokeswoman said the man's condition is believed to be life threatening.
A spokeswoman for the ambulance service said two ambulances, a fast response car and the air ambulance responded to the call.
"The man suffered serious leg injuries and was flown to the Royal London Hospital by helicopter," she said.