Man dragged under lorry suffers horrific injuries
A MAN lost his leg in an horrific accident in West Hampstead on Monday. The pedestrian, in his 50s, was involved in a collision with a lorry in West End Lane. Paramedics rushed to the scene just after 2pm while police closed off the road to traffic. Horri
A MAN lost his leg in an horrific accident in West Hampstead on Monday.
The pedestrian, in his 50s, was involved in a collision with a lorry in West End Lane.
Paramedics rushed to the scene just after 2pm while police closed off the road to traffic. Horrified passers-by could only look on as medical crews tried to save the man's leg after he became trapped under the lorry, near the junction with Iverson Road.
Lawrence King, who works at Travis Perkins on the road, rang 999.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I don't know how the man ended up under the vehicle. He was dragged six or seven metres under the wheels of the lorry before passers-by waved down the lorry to stop.
"He was conscious and making a noise, waving his arms. There was a lot of blood."
- 1 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 4 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 9 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
Another man on the scene, Dominic Moyes from Paramount estate agents, said: "He lost his leg - it was missing when I went over to inform them that I'd phoned the ambulance.
"He complained about his leg but I didn't want to bring his attention to the fact it was missing. It was an horrific thing to see. I just hope the guy is OK."
Police kept the road closed until after 5pm to conduct investigations. A spokeswoman said the man's condition is believed to be life threatening.
A spokeswoman for the ambulance service said two ambulances, a fast response car and the air ambulance responded to the call.
"The man suffered serious leg injuries and was flown to the Royal London Hospital by helicopter," she said.