Man dies at scene of Camden sheltered accomodation fire after jumping from window
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man has died at the scene of a fire in Camden after jumping from a third floor window.
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters battled to put out a blaze at a sheltered accommodation block in Camden Town this morning.
Police have confirmed a man was pronounced dead at the scene.
A fire service statement said: “Firefighters contained the fire to the third floor flat where it started but sadly the flat’s occupant – an elderly man – jumped from a third floor window before the Brigade arrived and was pronounced dead at the scene by doctors from London’s air ambulance.”
A man from a neighbouring flat was led to safety.
You may also want to watch:
Crews wearing breathing apparatus led a second man to safety from a neighbouring flat on the third floor and he was treated for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service at the scene. A third man left before firefighters arrived and was uninjured.
The fire brigade was called to the block in Camden Road at 10.42am.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Murder arrest after Primrose Hill woman dies from stab wounds
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
Firefighters were able to contain the fire within the flat where it started.
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage, and firefighters remain at the scene.