Man dies at scene of Camden sheltered accomodation fire after jumping from window
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man has died at the scene of a fire in Camden after jumping from a third floor window.
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters battled to put out a blaze at a sheltered accommodation block in Camden Town this morning.
Police have confirmed a man was pronounced dead at the scene.
A fire service statement said: “Firefighters contained the fire to the third floor flat where it started but sadly the flat’s occupant – an elderly man – jumped from a third floor window before the Brigade arrived and was pronounced dead at the scene by doctors from London’s air ambulance.”
A man from a neighbouring flat was led to safety.
You may also want to watch:
Crews wearing breathing apparatus led a second man to safety from a neighbouring flat on the third floor and he was treated for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service at the scene. A third man left before firefighters arrived and was uninjured.
The fire brigade was called to the block in Camden Road at 10.42am.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
Firefighters were able to contain the fire within the flat where it started.
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage, and firefighters remain at the scene.