Man charged with arson following Muswell Hill blaze
A MAN has appeared in court this morning charged with setting fire to a Muswell Hill home. Nicholas Bellhouse, 30, of East Sussex, was charged with arson with intent to endanger life and two counts of breaching a restraining order following a fire on the
A MAN has appeared in court this morning charged with setting fire to a Muswell Hill home.
Nicholas Bellhouse, 30, of East Sussex, was charged with arson with intent to endanger life and two counts of breaching a restraining order following a fire on the Broadway last week.
The blaze hit a second floor flat on Muswell Hill Broadway in the early hours of Thursday July 1.
A 29-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman had to be rescued by London Fire Brigade firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Both suffered from smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews before being discharged.
The fire service was called at 12:44am and it took four fire engines and around 20 firefighters an hour to control the flames which damaged 50per cent of the flat.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 5 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 6 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 7 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 8 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 9 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
Residents of nearby premises were evacuated for approximately an hour and a half.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses to contact DS Ian Mangham of Haringey CID on 020 8435 1964 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Neighbours have told of how they tried in vain to wake the people trapped inside the flat when they spotted the fire - for more, see this week's Ham and High Broadway.