Man charged with arson following Muswell Hill blaze
A MAN has appeared in court this morning charged with setting fire to a Muswell Hill home. Nicholas Bellhouse, 30, of East Sussex, was charged with arson with intent to endanger life and two counts of breaching a restraining order following a fire on the
A MAN has appeared in court this morning charged with setting fire to a Muswell Hill home.
Nicholas Bellhouse, 30, of East Sussex, was charged with arson with intent to endanger life and two counts of breaching a restraining order following a fire on the Broadway last week.
The blaze hit a second floor flat on Muswell Hill Broadway in the early hours of Thursday July 1.
A 29-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman had to be rescued by London Fire Brigade firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
You may also want to watch:
Both suffered from smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews before being discharged.
The fire service was called at 12:44am and it took four fire engines and around 20 firefighters an hour to control the flames which damaged 50per cent of the flat.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 10 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
Residents of nearby premises were evacuated for approximately an hour and a half.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses to contact DS Ian Mangham of Haringey CID on 020 8435 1964 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Neighbours have told of how they tried in vain to wake the people trapped inside the flat when they spotted the fire - for more, see this week's Ham and High Broadway.