Man left dying in Archway Road after bridge fall was ‘ignored’ by motorists
A man who fell to his death from Archway Bridge was ignored by drivers on their way home, it is claimed.
The 28-year-old man plunged from the bridge over Hornsey Lane last Friday evening and lay dying on the road as motorists drove past.
Police and ambulance crews raced to the scene. But before they arrived, an off-duty nurse attended the as yet unidentified man.
In a message on her Facebook profile, Kirsty McLoughlin, who works at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, revealed how she had been stuck in traffic when she noticed a man “frantically waving”.
She arrived at the scene to see another man seriously injured and lying on the ground.
You may also want to watch:
In her post, Miss McLoughlin wrote: “He was in a bad way, but he was still breathing and still had a pulse. I panicked. Big time. I had no equipment, I had no support.”
Miss McLoughlin said she only had gloves and a few dressings and claimed that no-one got out of their car to help her.
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 3 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 8 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
She said: “There I was, a girl in a dress and tights doing a jaw thrust on a man whilst at the same time I had a phone between my ear and shoulder phoning an ambulance.
“Not one other person came to help me. I feel absolutely let down by the human race.”
Emergency services arrived shortly afterwards, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
His death is the seventh at the Grade II-listed bridge in just under two years.
Highgate campaigner Sarah Cope, who lives in Hornsey Lane, has been fighting to get Haringey Council – the local authority responsible for the bridge – to put safety measures in place since 2010. She said: “There is a real need to do this with speed and the apparent constant delaying by the council is more than tragic.
“Temporary barriers could be done quite easily, but we need a timetable for action.”
A Haringey Council spokesperson said: “We have met to discuss options with English Heritage, who indicated that their preferred option would be for a high fence.
“They have requested more detailed information about designs, which we will be providing them with.
“We’ll be arranging a meeting with local stakeholders to discuss the proposals and the next stage would be for Transport for London to submit a listed building consent application for safety measures to both ourselves and Islington Council for consideration.”